This is an unbiased review of the Graco Magnum X5 Airless Sprayer. Before writing the review, I scoured the internet for expert advice, experience of users, previous reviews of this sprayer to gather all the information that you will need to make an informed decision.
This article is a culmination of all the research so that by the end of this review, you will have all you need to either purchase this product or pass it on. Let’s go over the overview of the features first:
Table of Contents
- Advantages of Graco Magnum X5
- Disadvantages of the Graco Magnum X5
- Graco Magnum X5 Airless Sprayer: Things You Should Know
- The Graco Magnum X5 Airless Paint Sprayer Full Review
- Who Is this Spray Painter Best Suitable For?
- Wrapping Up and Helpful Tips on the Graco Magnum X5
- Our Verdict
- Graco Magnum X5 Sprayer
- Handling & Maintenance
- Ease of Use
Advantages of Graco Magnum X5
- Light in weight. This facilitates easy movement of the sprayer from one area to the other. Couple with the fact that the unit is not so heavy when it is full, the construction is quite sturdy and durable. It is made to withstand wear and tear and you don’t have to break the bank to get it. Also, the paint gun is also light in weight and is completely made of metal which translates to more service years.
- Versatile. You can use the same appliance to paint your walls or stain your floors. And remember that you can get great results with minimal efforts with the Graco Magnum X5. I like that you can use it on different projects as long as you have the right combination of paint and painting surface.
- Easy to use. The instructions on this sprayer are easy to follow even for a first time user. The features are very easy to understand and use for beginners. This ensures that you don’t spend several minutes learning all the necessary features before you can start working with it.
- Easy to set up. The structure of this sprayer is compact hence no need to for assembling and disassembling before and after use. There are only a few parts to it and you can keep it in tip-top condition by maintaining regular cleaning and servicing.
- Easy to Clean. The cleaning process of this sprayer takes only a few minutes especially when you attach it to your garden hose.
- Superior price to value ratio. The Magnum X5 has a high price-value ratio which means that it gives you a good value for your money. Moreover, you are also buying from a reputable company with good customer service. So, not only will you be paying a decent price to get this, you will also enjoy the quality that comes with that.
- Suitable match for bigger projects. Like the Graco Magnum X7, this sprayer is powerful, sturdy and has the capacity to handle heavy duty projects.
Disadvantages of the Graco Magnum X5
- Easily clogs up. This happens when you use thick materials on it. Luckily, you can simply blow the tip to unclog it.
- More suitable for outdoor use. This factor limits you as the user.
- This sprayer may vibrate when used in a higher PSI. It may even move around a bit during use. However, this may go unnoticed and does not interfere with the quality of your work.
Graco Magnum X5 Airless Sprayer: Things You Should Know
Before you decide to buy this sprayer, there are certain things you need to learn about it. If this is your first time of reading Graco Magnum X5 reviews, you will definitely find there are lots of things you need to know about this model.
Reading through everything in this review will help you understand what this sprayer is about and be able to decide if it’s going to be a good deal for you. Some of the most important things you need to know will be covered in this section and the next section. So read on!
- The Graco Magnum sprayer is an entry level airless sprayer that helps you get the result of a high-end sprayer. After reviewing a couple of sprayers, it is clear that you don’t get to enjoy this kind of luxury on most sprayers, which is a big plus for this model.
- In addition, it comes with fully adjustable pressure which gives you absolute control over the paint flow. When you have total control over the flow of the paint from the sprayer, you will be able to maintain a consistent output for any of your project, regardless of the size. This is an important thing to nail down if you want to get that professional look and finish.
- You can also spray unthinned paint at higher pressure using the stainless steel piston pump. Thanks to the flexible Suction Tube, you can spray from 1 or 5 gallon paint bucket and enjoy up to 125 gallons per year. The Magnum X5 also allows you to use a hose of 75 ft for that extra reach.
- You can use the Graco Magnum X5 on ceilings and walls as it does a great job on both. You need to ensure everything is well covered — generally you mask those things you don’t want paint to get to. It will also be helpful to have a long wand so that you can reduce the stress of painting ceilings.
- It is important that you read the user manual to learn how to operate this unit. Moreover, it has a lot of instruction with visual aids and is easy to go through. Also, setup of this model takes longer, compare to using a roller or brush.
- It is better not to use textured paint on this model. This is because the tip size of the sprayer is not very big, so using a thick paint may actually result in clogging which may retard your progress.
- For those who will be looking for the fan tip on this model, it is actually 515. The max tip size as mentioned above is 0.015. It is not recommended to use anything above this if you want to get a smooth flow of paint during your projects.
The Graco Magnum X5 Airless Paint Sprayer Full Review
These are are many features on the Graco Magnum X5 that each one needs to be explained so that you understand what you get with each one. Instead of just throwing the bare features at you, I am going to explain them below for your perusal:
1. Stainless Steel Tip
The piston at the pump of the Graco Magnum 262800 X5 is made of stainless steel. When buying a spray paint machine, it is important to choose one that has a stainless steel tip as it guarantees durability. This way, you can use it repeatedly without worrying about rust stains, breakage or any other malfunction. This is a feature that gives you value for your money.
2. Easy to Clean
Anyone who’s familiar with painting projects knows that the clean up process afterwards is a tedious process. Previously, a lot of time and effort was demanded in order to completely wash off the paint as paint residue could clog the equipment up. However, with this feature, you do not have to struggle any longer.
After a successful DIY painting project, simply attach the power flash adapter that comes with the Graco Magnum X5 to your garden hose to wash off the paint. This further shortens the duration of the entire project since it will only take a few minutes to Clean up and store your paint sprayer away. A task that previously took 30 or more minutes now takes 5 or less minutes.
3. Simplified Priming
If you want to cut short the painting task without interfering with the quality of the job then you should choose the airless model of this paint sprayer. This particular model offers a push primer feature which works to your advantage. It sees to a quick and straight forward priming process without increasing the number of repetitions for a satisfactory tan. This is a feature that demands even less of your manual input and time.
4. Adjustable Pressure Control
Unlike paint brushes, rollers and sponges, this product of technology grants you the luxury of achieving the kind of finishing that you want. Next to the flexible intake tube of the Graco Magnum X5 is the a knob that you can use to fine tune the pressure. This feature allows you the freedom to set it on either low spray or high spray. The highest output that you can go with this is 3000 PSI. Additionally, there also are the roller and cleaning settings all for your convenience. Adjusting the knobs allows you to end up with the kind of finishing that you want: whether too thick or thin.
5. Light Weight Design
One of the best things about the Graco Magnum X5 is its convenient design and user friendly structure. This painting sprayer is small in size and compact which allows you to move it around easily. It also comes with a handle that facilitates ease of portability as well. You can carry it from one spot to another without worrying about its weight. Unlike a bucket of paint, this paint sprayer is designed with a stand that keeps it in a central position, for instance, in the middle of the room as you work around. It’s compact size also facilitates easy storage hence saving on space.
6. SG2 Spray Gun and Reversible Tip
If you are looking to achieve a medium thick coating, this feature facilitates that. With 515 tip, you can also achieve a pattern of 10-12 inches in width. Simply turn the tip the other way around and blow it out in case you encounter a clog and continue working. On the handle of this gun is a filter that’s designed to catch larger particles for a better finish.
If you’re going to use different materials over time, for instance stains, latex or acrylic you’d be glad to know that this sole paint sprayer can handle the different materials. This rules out the need for an additional sprayer. However, it is advisable to avoid using certain materials with textured particles and also solvent based lacquer block fillers.
Who Is this Spray Painter Best Suitable For?
A look at the features of the Graco Magnum X5 Spray Painter shows that this is an ideal choice for home/DIY projects. It has a convenient capacity of 125 gallons an year, you is adequate to easily manage frequent paint jobs around your home. Using it on commercial projects will definitely overwork the motor hence likely to encounter a malfunction or complete damage of the sprayer.
Keep in mind that the tip of this sprayer works best on latex and acrylic walls due to the fact that they are made using medium or light materials. Latex and acrylic is normally used on walls, fences, siding as well as wood furnishings. This means that with the use of this sprayer, you can keep your home looking fresh and clean.
If you are a beginner, using this paint sprayer may prove to be quite a challenge. However, with time you will get used to it and perfect your skills. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll realize how easy and convenient using it really is.
Wrapping Up and Helpful Tips on the Graco Magnum X5
With all the features that are packed in the Graco Magnum X5, you will now be able to enjoy a professional look and finish without paying a handyman to do the job for you. This is why we consider the Graco Magnum X5 one of the best project oriented paint sprayers you can get for your remodeling jobs.
Graco Magnum X5 Sprayer
Handling & Maintenance10.0 /10
Ease of Use10.0 /10
- Great value for money from a reputable brand
- Sturdy and durable with easy-to-understand features
- Requires minimal efforts to get great results
- Paint gun is lightweight and easy to use
- Reaches areas not reachable by roller or brush
- Requires ample learning curve
- May need wheels to move around easily