Are you looking for a guide on how to spray paint shoes? If you so, you have landed in the right space. If you don’t know, 1 out of every 10 people have a shoe that they put on regularly. Although the ratio of people who wear their shoe regularly may be thin, it is a fact that most people — anywhere in the world — have shoes that they wear to work or on important occasions.
Even though many people already have shoes, it is not uncommon for people to want to acquire more shoes and that is where the problem arises. Because of the limited budget, many people find it hard to buy new ones. Therefore, most people would rather take a chance at changing the appearance of their shoe by painting it in a new color.
Another thing that may prompt people to spray paint on shoes is if they just want to change the color of their old shoes because it has become boring and uninteresting after a few years of usage. If you already have a paint sprayer, then this becomes even easier as you won’t be spending much to change the overall look of your shoes.
If you don’t already have a paint sprayer and you are interested in buying one, check out our recommendation on the best paint sprayer here. As you will learn further in this article, spray painting shoes is a thing that takes very little of your time.
Before you start, you may want to learn about the difference types of paint sprayers that exists. Because certain types of this devices are suitable for certain types of paints, you should be careful in buying one as that might influence the quality of result. We cover the different types of paint sprayers here, so be sure to check out that resource.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Spray Paint Shoes — A Step By Step Guide
- 2 1. Select the Shoes You Want to Spray Paint
- 3 2. Select the Sprayer Type to Use
- 4 3. Select Area or Surface to Use
- 5 4. Spray Painting Shoes and Finishing
- 6 What Kind of Paint Sprayer Can You Use on Your Shoes?
- 7 How to Spray Paint Shoes Gold
- 8 How to Spray Paint Shoes Silver
- 9 How to Spray Paint Shoes Black
- 10 How to Paint Your Shoes — Useful Tips
- 11 FAQs on How to Spray Paint Shoes
- 12 Final Words on How to Spray Paint Shoes
How to Spray Paint Shoes — A Step By Step Guide
1. Select the Shoes You Want to Spray Paint
Before anything, you have to decide on the shoes you want to spray paint. If you have more than one shoe, you may only be interested in spray painting one of them. If that is the case, all you have to do pick one of them that you want to paint and you are ready.
For example, if you have Leather shoes, Work boots, etc., you have to choose one of them because the paint you use and the way you paint them will be different. If however, you intend to change the overall look of all your shoes, then you don’t need to select. All you have to do is change the paint when you are ready to spray paint on shoes that you have.
2. Select the Sprayer Type to Use
The next step you need to take is to select the kind of sprayer you want to use. Some sprayer are not very good for painting shoes because of their spraying tip or the way they are design. While others are perfect for painting shoes, even if they are not primarily designed for that purpose.
Therefore, choosing the right paint sprayer for your shoes is important for maintaining the normal beauty of your shoes and ensuring long life of the shoes. By reading reviews of different products based on brand, design, and quality, you should be able to decide on the best one for this purpose.
3. Select Area or Surface to Use
Since you won’t be spraying the whole shoe at once — you need to paint at different angles — this may require selecting an area for painting your shoe. The best area for this purpose is the outdoor or a well-ventilated area. Make sure things like your car or other items that might be stained by the paint is not close by and that the area is not too close to your deck.
You can use your garage or close to the fence for this purpose. When you are ready, get yourself a tape and make sure you cover the surrounding area before you start painting.
4. Spray Painting Shoes and Finishing
After you have painted the shoe(s), you can put it in an open area under the sun. You will need to wait a few hours to get the paint to dry. There are fixed period for leaving it to dry but more than 12 hours — if there is sunshine — is a good time.
After waiting for at least 12 hours, go back and check the texture of the paint to see if it is fully dried. If it is, then you should have a nice looking, newly looking shoe that you can start using again.
What Kind of Paint Sprayer Can You Use on Your Shoes?
The type of paint sprayer you use on your shoes is dependent on the type of shoes you are painting. If you have leather shoes, you obviously can’t use a paint that is meant for fabric shoes. Some shoes also respond well to certain type of paint and you can find more information from the manufacturer of the paint.
Most will take you what product you can use the paint on. If you already have a paint, say leather paint, you should only use it on leather shoes. Other types include acrylic paint, fabric paint, textile paint that are usable depending on the type of shoe you have.
You can also mix paints to achieve special purposes. This is mostly done by professionals, so if you don’t have experience, you shouldn’t bother doing this. In addition, if you can buy one directly — already mixed to perfection — then that will be better since you won’t have to tamper with anything and you can get a great looking shoe with that.
How to Spray Paint Shoes Gold
Many people are interested in spray painting shoes gold and it is one of the concern of most beginners. However, it is not so difficult. All you have to do is to search for metallic gold paints and research which shoes they are suitable for.
Once you get one that is suitable for your shoes, use that. After preparing the paint, pour it into your sprayer, and start paint your shoe following the steps outlined above. Now, it’s time for the real tutorial. If you are ready, then let’s begin.
What You’ll Need:
- A masking tape
- Newspaper or plastic bags
- Heavy duty protective gloves
- Cotton rag
Before you get started, make sure you have all the supplies you will need and that you have a well-ventilated and well-lit area for painting. Also ensure that the surface you are using is well covered.
How to Paint Your Shoes Gold: The Prep
Make sure you prepare the shoes for painting — you can paint new or used — by making sure it is free from dirt and debris. Use the cotton rag to wipe the surface of the shoe to make sure it is ready for painting.
Painting Your Shoes Gold
When you start painting, make sure you don’t rush any of the steps. Rushing will only lead to flaking or rough painting which will might disfigure your shoe. Follow these steps when you are ready:
- You should remove the existing polish with acetone and ensure that the shoe has a dull appearance when you are finished. Don’t stop until all the polish is gone as that will give the new paint a great adhesion.
- Using the newspaper or plastic bags, stuff the inside of the shoes. This should create a smooth surface and block out the inside from getting in contact with paint
- Using the masking tape, mark off/cover up the areas you don’t want the paint to touch. The quality of the masking tape actually matters, so use a good one like a Green Frog Tape or 3M Blue Tape
- Spray on the shoes, using a light, even motion. The sprayer should be very light so that you don’t have to use both hands
- Make sure you have several thin coats on the shoe instead of thicker ones as they tend to wear better. When painting, make sure you spray evenly coat and let it dry. Then do the same until the shoe is completely covered in an even coat of paint
- Make sure to remove the tape before the paints dry out completely. If you wait for it to get dry, the tape may tear out part of the perfect looking paint, voiding your effort. After that, the paint should be fully dried and your shoe should be ready to wear
Applying Finishing to the Shoes
Although finishing is not all that necessary, it can serve two purposes. First, it can give your shoe either a glossy or matte surface and secondly, it can protect the painting job and make it last longer. Apply several thin coating to the shoes and allow them to dry between applications.
How to Spray Paint Shoes Silver
Instead of using the golden color to paint your shoe, you will instead be using a silver color. If you already have one at home that you can use, then that’s perfect. If not, you will need to search for a silver paint color to use with your shoe.
Now that you have a general idea what it takes to paint your shoes silver, we will now go into details on how to get this done. Whether your shoe is leather, fake leather or in plastic, you can easily turn them into silver color that you can wear for big occasions.
What You Need:
- Your shoes – they should be clean and free from dirt
Spray paint – in this case, silver color
Masking tape – this is useful if you don’t want to paint the
whole shoe into gold
A well-ventilated area to spray paint your shoes
The first thing you need to do is to tape those part of the shoes you don’t want the silver paint to reach. If you want to leave the soles as is, you should tape that part up, while leaving the rest for the paint to reach them. You can also tape up the inside of the shoe so that the paint don’t reach there.
Generally, the paint will cover the inside as well since your will be pointing the tip of the sprayer there so make sure it is covered.
The next thing you need to do is to apply the paint after taping. Generally, you should maintain a distance and spray in small amounts to avoid dripping. As mentioned previously, you should be doing this in a well-ventilated area and where other items will not be affected.
Now, allow the painting to dry out before touching or moving the shoes. Recommended period of waiting is 24 hours — this can be shorter if the shoes are under direct sunlight. Once they are properly dried, you are ready to take off the tape from the shoes and put them on.
The beauty of doing this is that paint sprayed shoes generally last very long. Unlike other paints, they don’t flake or peel off quickly. However, you should expect to see scratches and scruffs as wear and tear steps in. Fortunately, you can touch it up with more silver as you like.
(pictures are credited to www.do-it-yourself-weddings.com)
How to Spray Paint Shoes Black
Spray painting your shoes black is the same process as those of painting it gold or silver. The only thing you will need to change is the paint and follow the same process. In the future, if our readers are interest in this, we might come up with smaller guides for those who are interested. The reason we don’t really have a tutorial on this is because most shoes come in this color — black. So, it would be unnecessary having a separate article on it without first seeing that people are interested.
How to Paint Your Shoes — Useful Tips
- When painting, don’t use wool daubers because they are meant for applying polish and not painting.
- If you want to paint your shoes in different colors, start with the lighter color as it is easy to hide the lighter color if you make mistakes than if you started with the harder color
- If your shoe is delicate or soft, stuff it with the newspaper or plastic bags. This will create a smooth surface and make painting easier on you.
- Spend more time preparing the shoes as that will give you better results.
- Always spray paint shoes in a well ventilated area
- If you want a professional finish, use thin coats
FAQs on How to Spray Paint Shoes
Can you spray paint canvas shoes?
Sure, you can spray paint canvas shoes. If you have a dark colored shoes, you may need to use acrylic paint on it as we have mentioned previously in this article. But if you have something lighter, you can use fabric markers, this should give the shoes a natural look.
Can you spray paint leather shoes?
Most times, leather shoes look so boring and using a paint sprayer can spruce it up and make it look interesting. Moreover, painting leather shoes is quite easy and you can achieve an excellent result when you follow the right steps.
Can you get paint off shoes?
There are many guides on how to get spray paint off shoes. Often, this can occur when you spray paint one shoe and another one is stained by the paint. If you can catch the stain early, then it will be very easy to get spray paint off leather shoes or canvas. However, if you allow it to dry or you only discovered that after it has dried out, then you need to read this guide on how to get spray paint off shoes.
What You Need: water, cloth, leather cleaner
- Step #1. Wipe the area of the paint stain using a damp cloth. If the paint is still fresh, you may not need chemical to clean it off. Also, if the paint is water-based, you can easily scratch off the paint with a small knife, remove the paint and pat the area with a towel.
- Step #2. Find a damp cloth and put a paint thinner on it, then rub on the affected area. This solution should soften the paint but make sure you use a small amount of the paint thinner at a time so as to not destroy the shoe with the chemical.
- Step #3. Use Acetone or Turpentine to clean off the paint. These solvent should be on a dry cloth that you can use to wipe off the paint on the shoe. With this application, the paint should come off easily if you have used the paint thinner in the previous step.
How Can I spray paint my shoes?
This is easy. As long as you follow the steps we outlined above, you should find it absolutely easy to paint your shoes. Doing this shouldn’t take more than stuffing the shoes with newspaper, masking off the areas you don’t want the paint to reach, and painting the shoes lightly.
How do I paint spray with glitter?
You know all the sparkles and glitzy those glitters can bring to your shoe. If not, you wouldn’t be reading this. When you are ready, you will need a pair of shoes and some tapes to cover up the inside so that the glitter don’t get inside.
Once you have the glitter, you should put it into a small plastic cup and take from there to put on the shoe. There are a couple more steps you will need to follow through and we will be making these guides in the future for you to follow through.
Final Words on How to Spray Paint Shoes
It is not so difficult to paint your shoes if you know where to look and you have the right equipment for the job. In fact, it is even very easy if you have selected the best paint sprayer (link to the review article) and you have the suitable paint color to use with your shoe.
The fact that you are not restricted to any paint color is a boost towards getting the best done for your shoes and making them look great. At least, reading this guide on how to spray paint shoes is the first step towards getting a different, beautiful look for your shoes.