Table of Contents
Let’s Get Started …
Making a Start – or a Re-Start … here are some ideas and tips for home decorating to help you …
Whether you’re making a start for the first time on your home decorating project – or even if you’ve done it before and you’re working on a new project, or re-starting with a fresh approach, whichever way, here are some ideas and tips for home decorating to help you –
It’s all about creating a pleasing, comfortable and welcoming home. It’s about homemaking and stimulating your senses and creativity.
This website is all about helping you develop your style and your intuitive knowingness and confidence of what is you and what is right for you.
For Ideas and Inspiration – here’s a 12 point Checklist
1. Look through home decorating magazines and books and see what inspires you and what things you respond to and resonate with you. Collect ideas you like about color combinations, furniture, and fabrics.
Develop your style, your eye, your taste – If you don’t think you’re just quite there yet, or you feel you haven’t developed your own style, your eye, your taste, start going about learning and looking around you.
2. Go to the color swatch display area of your paint store or hardware store and look through colors and color ranges, and note what you gravitate towards and what pleases you the most.
3. What colors do you love?
- If you love pastel tones, then mix and match their delicate palette hues in overlays of their wonderful soothing, relaxing, merging colors.
- If you love earthy colors, surround yourself with the earth tones and textures of nature, the autumnal colors, the greens, olives, burnished browns, oranges and yellows.
- If you are bold, use bold colors and accessories – in reds, dark blues, greens, purples, browns and blacks – try the wonderful decorator color aubergine.
4. Think of textures you love – grainy, coarse, robust, or smooth and velvety. Take note of these things about your preferences.
5. Note what clothes you wear – they can be an inspiration to your home decorating – your favorite clothes or accessories can be anchors or features for your home decorating.
6. What are you passionate about? Home decorating can be a story of how your passions can transform your home … It may be artifacts and collectibles from your travels, or whatever takes your fancy …
7. Your hobby or hobbies – do your hobbies lend themselves to being expressed in your home decorating?
As talking pieces, or blended into the environment. Whether you love art, music, sports, movie memorabilia, cartoons, comic books, collecting seashells and coral, pets, and other things …
8. Your Collectibles can play a featuring role in your home decorating, with great style and panache.
Surround yourself with the beautiful things you love. Honor your home by decorating it as a way to express who you are from your inner core.
9. Go and visit home decorating stores – even if you can’t afford to shop at the best stores, go there to see what it’s all about. Don’t slavishly follow everything, but develop your sense of what looks good.
10. Are there any Home Decorating styles that you like, or that you tend to gravitate towards that can give you a general direction?
Perhaps its Contemporary or Modern, or Country, or perhaps Classical or Traditional, or Tuscan or Mediterranean, Mexican, Asian, or Rustic, or a combination of a number of styles?
Which do you or would you feel most comfortable with every day?
Now, I’m certainly not advocating that you slavishly follow a particular style.
Remember, the focus here at my website is helping you develop your own individual style and your intuitive knowingness and confidence about what is you and what is right for you.
This is about you and only you. We’ve spent quite a bit of focus on the importance of developing your own style – one that really expresses who you are.
Now that may be based on one or more or a combination of the styles, that is your choice. The most important thing is that it is you and expresses who you are and your loves and creative expression!
If you would like to go with one of the styles then do so. It’s your choice. Research it. Plan it out. It’s what inspires you to move forward that’s important here.
For an overview of Home Decorating Styles visit this section of my website (click here)
11. Avoid following the latest ‘hottest’ trends or fads – It’s best to steer clear of predictions about what’s ‘hot’ or the next ‘big trend’, unless you’re OK with finding yourself in the position of having to change your home decorating every year or two, or as often as you change your wardrobe.
Most importantly, the more your home decorating reflects who you are and the things you love, the longer you will be happy with it for an extended period of time, and the longer it will last and you’ll get great mileage out of it and truly enjoy it.
Remember that the more understated and elegant the interior the longer it will stand the test of time and last.
12. Be Multi-Sensory – Go for it!
Home decorating is not only about designing and arranging your home. It’s also about stimulating your mind and ‘physical’ experience of your surroundings. And, beyond that, its also about feeding your inner self, your soul …
Create an atmosphere – Lighting is a fabulous mood creator. Create a focus with a lamp in a corner or particular spot for accent. Light scented candles, light up your fireplace for an incredible effect and surround your room with further candles. WOW, what an atmosphere you’ll create …
Listen to your inner musings, use soaps that are creamy, luxurious, lathery and smell great.
Home Decorating Using Your Five ‘Physical’ Senses – It’s designing and decorating your Home using and stimulating your 5 ‘physical’ senses – the sense of sight (pleasing to the eye), touch (tactile), smell (sets a mood and recalls or creates memories), sound (to soothe and/or awaken the soul) and taste (to excite the taste buds).
Now that you’ve come this far, you’ll notice so many more things around you that will give you more and more ideas and tips for home decorating. Always be on the lookout …
Enjoy and explore further sections of my website for some more ideas and tips for home decorating.
Another great way to start your home decorating project is to clear the way with de-cluttering, clearing out and getting organized – if you would like some pointers to help you with this – here is a short guide:
If you haven’t already, it’s a great idea to start with De-cluttering – Less is Best … Less is More …
Your home should soothe your soul. It should relax, replenish and invigorate you.
Think for a moment – How does your Home make you feel?
Clutter can be a home atmosphere and home decorating downer.
When you commence a home decorating project, it’s better that you start with as blank a canvas as you can. That’s not always possible. Be ruthless and get rid of anything that doesn’t seem to fit in your room, your home, or that doesn’t excite you or make you feel good.
By cleaning out the clutter and decorating to soothe your five senses this can bring you closer to the invigorating, energizing and/or peaceful Home Haven you crave. It will actually help you reduce your stress.
An important golden rule – subtracting is often adding. This can be very difficult because furniture is often a very emotional thing for us. You may need some help with that. When you eliminate an item from your Home, you not only free up space, but you actually free up energy and make room for new energy to come in. It makes your home shine and actually makes it sparkle.
Often, we can get so comfortable in our surroundings that we don’t realize that it would actually be less stressful if we got rid of these things. It’s not easy to break out of your comfort zone. Sometimes it can feel like it would be easier to just leave things as they are.
Clearing the way and de-cluttering allows for space for good new positive things to come in and fill that space.
Here’s a Tip – Get rid of pieces, items, furniture, ‘knick-knacks’ that don’t excite you, that don’t mirror who you are, or don’t reflect your Soul. Get rid of the clutter – move yourself to the next level. You could donate furniture or other bits and pieces to help others. One person’s throw-outs are another person’s treasure.
You could even sell them on E-bay.