This page isn’t going into details on the measuring, preparation, and installation of wallpaper.
However, a little later, I will direct you to a site where you can find all that information…and more.
The Home Decorating Mentor will concentrate on the aspects of wallpaper important to decorating. Those that aren’t fond of wallpaper may actually find reasons to try it.
Let’s dispense with a few basics first.
Wallpapering is NOT difficult!
A little patience may be needed, but it is possible even for a novice.
Your local home improvement store or wallpaper supplier may hold clinics geared to the first-time hanger. If not, they certainly will give you helpful tips.
If you’re hanging the paper yourself, look for pre-pasted and pre-trimmed papers. This will eliminate a great deal of work.
More delicate and unusual wallpapers are better installed by a professional.
The key for a hassle-free installation… read the instructions enclosed with the wallpaper.
You want to be sure that the paper you have chosen is appropriate for the room it will be installed. Kitchens and bathrooms should have papers that will stand up under contact with water and steam.
Kitchens and children’s rooms need durable and easily cleaned wallpaper.
Buy all your paper at the same time.
This will ensure the dye lots and run numbers are the same. Most companies print wallpaper in batches of 24 single rolls. The dye lot and the run number will be the same for those 24 rolls.
If you want to read about measuring wallpaper and installation techniques, American Blinds, Wallpaper & More is the site promised earlier.
They know from experience the information a consumer wants to know before buying. Their customer service personnel are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Follow this link…when the wallpaper page appears, check their catalog of wallpaper patterns. You should see all necessary information you need!
Wall coverings can mask a room’s weak points while enhancing its stronger features.
You can use wallpaper:
- to brighten a dark room.
- to add architectural elements to a featureless room.
- to dramatize a room’s best feature.
- to highlight your personality.
- to add character to a boring room.
- to hide minor flaws paint can’t.
Here are great ways to use wallpaper to give the illusion your rooms are different than they are.
To make a room with low ceilings appear taller…
- Use wallpaper with a vertical stripe.
- Do not use a border where the wall meets the ceiling.
- Do not install a chair rail.
- Wallpaper should be a darker color than the ceiling.
To make a large room appear smaller…
- Apply dominating print wallpaper to walls and ceiling.
- Wallpaper should be warm colors…yellows, reds and oranges.
- Use wallpaper borders around ceiling edge, windows or doorways.
- Use floor covering darker than wallpaper. Choosing a color from the wallpaper will give a more cohesive look.
Making a room appear larger…
- Use wallpaper with a light background and a large pattern.
- Use horizontally striped wallpaper.
- Use geometrically patterned papers.
- The wallpaper should be cool colors…greens, blues and purples.
- Do not use borders.
- Match blinds or shades to the background color of the wallpaper.
- When closed they will blend in with the wallpaper.
Wallpaper can set the mood for your house.
You don’t have to paper the entire house.
Many wallpapers have 2 or 3 coordinating papers and a border. Paper one room using the dominant paper.
Use a coordinating paper in a second room, another coordinate on one wall in an adjoining room and a matching border in the hallway.
The decorating will flow well, but not be overwhelming. You can find papers with country or contemporary patterns …and everything in between.
Wallpapering is a great way to personalize your home.
Today wallpaper comes in a dizzying number of patterns and themes.
You can use a little or a lot to showcase a favorite collection or hobby.
The result will be décor that is uniquely yours.
Use wallpaper to create detail when none exists.
Make your home stand out from others in your neighborhood.
Borders can look like crown molding or chair rails. A small mural can be framed to give the appearance of a window in a windowless room.
Wallpaper can make your creative juices flow. Take some time to browse through all the options available today.
You might be pleasantly surprised at how wallpaper can enhance your home décor.
All it takes is a little imagination!