As a DIY enthusiast, you’ll no doubt need one of the best paint strippers at one point in your career.
For example, if you have a vintage piece of furniture and you want to remove the varnish from on it, you may find it nearly impossible to do using any of your painting equipment.
Or if you want to scrape off paint from baseboards, trims, moldings for whatever reason, you’ll need a good chemical formula to have a significant success.
This is where paint strippers come in!
You can use them by removing paints, stains, varnishes, epoxy, and other finishes. And you can use them on different surfaces such as wooden, metal, or masonry.
With a suitable paint stripper, you can remove any paints, stains and all kinds of materials.
However, there are thousands of paint stripping products on the market. Unless you know which one is the right one for the project at hand, it may be difficult to choose the right one.
This is why we put up this guide to help you choose the right stripper for the job.
Note: These paint removers are for specific purposes such that the stripper that is very effective in removing latex paint may not work very well for other finishes.
This is why it’s important to peruse the features of each stripper and ensure it can remove the material you want to use it on.
Can You Really Remove Paint and Other Finishes With a Paint Stripper
Yes. Paint Strippers are very effective at removing paints from a surface as long as you choose the right one for the surface you want to remove paint from.
Paint strippers fall into two groups of Caustics and Solvents. Caustic paint removers, for example, will break down the chemical bond of the paint, thus weakening its grip on the surface.
Solvent paint strippers, on the other hand, will penetrate the depth and layers of the paint so as to enervate the bond between the paint and the surface. The paint then swells up, making it easy to remove by scraping or scrubbing.
However, there is no single best paint stripper for every user. This is because requirements vary from one person to another.
Nevertheless, some strippers have outstanding features that will help you accomplish your goal.
So, What’s the Overall Best Paint Stripper?
If you’re curious (or in a hurry):
The Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover is the overall best paint stripper for all kinds of projects!
Whether you are a farmer trying to remove old paint from farming equipment or a casual homeowner looking to remove a stain from a metal surface, you’ll find the Rust-Oleum Automotive 255448 32-Ounce AircrAft Remover to be suitable for your needs.
It is the strongest paint stripper we have come across, and there are many out there.
It works on aluminum, metal, fiberglass, and you can use it to remove most two-component materials, varnish, oil, and alkyd-based paints.
And you can use it to clear coat and automotive base coat without much of a problem.
Not only is it an excellent paint stripper, but also comes with a reasonable price, so that everyone can try their hands on it.
In addition, the Rust-Oleum Automotive 255448 32-Ounce AircrAft Remover provides a flexible solution for any project that involves paint removal.
For these reasons, we recommend it as the best paint stripper for you!
Want To See Other Paint Strippers on the List? Then…Read on
First, here is the simple navigation through this guide:
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of our comparison, let’s have a bird’s eye view of the top-rated paint removers.
Look at the features and pricing data below then choose one of them:
Comparison Table of the Best Paint Strippers of 2018
Reviews of the Best Paint Strippers:
- Rust-Oleum Automotive 255448 32-Ounce AircrAft
- Goof Off FG658 Professional Strength Remover
- Motsenbocker’s Lift Off 413-01 Latex Based Paint
- Citri-Strip ECG73807 Paint and Varnish Remover
- GAR343 KLEAN-STRIP Aircraft Paint Stripper
- Goof Off FG672 Graffiti Remover, Aerosol
- Back to Nature Ready-Strip Plus Paint & Varnish Remover
- Goo Gone Surface Safe Latex Paint Cleaner
- 3M 9099DCNA Large Area Paint and Rust Stripper
- SOY Gel Professional Paint Stripper Gallon
In-depth Look At Features of the Best Paint Removers
1. Best Chemical Stripper
If you are looking for the best chemical stripper, we’ve found this stripper to be the best across the board. Not only is it a best selling paint remover, it’s strong chemical component makes it one of the most popular paint strippers that DIYers and professional painters use.
Let’s look at it in more details:
Rust-Oleum Automotive 32-Ounce AircrAft Remover
The Rust-Oleum Automotive Aircraft Remover is one of the best selling paint removers on the market.
It’s highly rated, have a very low return rate and is popular among customers shopping for paint strippers.
One of the distinguishing features of the Rustoleum Aircraft Stripper is that it is non-flammable.
This makes it easy to use it in any area without the fear of fire hazards.
Moreover, it is a professional grade stripper that can remove the toughest of finishes.
It weighs only 2.3 pounds and measures 9.7 x 7.4 x 8.2 inches, and it’s not too heavy to grip and pour on any surface.
Not only does it come in a big bottle, but you can use it for a very long time.
If you are looking for a fast-acting paint stripper that you can clean up easily with water, try this.
Pros of the Rust-Oleum Automotive Aircraft Remover
- When using this product, ensure you complete all the tasks at a go. Giving the nature of paint strippers, many users will apply several coats and leave it overnight. Due to the fact that this stripper starts working immediately, you can start scrubbing in a few minutes after applying it on the surface. Therefore, leaving it overnight may cause a big mess.
- You can take off clear coat off aluminum, magnesium, and metal surfaces for refinishing. Whether you are trying to repaint your car wheels or your metal door, you can strip them down to bare metal with the help of this product, and ready for refinishing. Just make sure there’s no rubber part on the metal as it’ll consume rubber quickly.
- People have used it with success on fiberglass, wooden surfaces, metal, aircraft, and more. The beauty of this product is that you don’t have to do a lot of scrubbing or put too much effort into scraping off the paint with a putty knife. Instead, the stripper dries up the paint and a few brushes off will reveal a bare metal. As long as you stir it before use, apply it thickly, and allow it a few minutes to work its wonder, you’ll only have to scrape off the old paint with ease and composure.
- The beauty of this stripper is that it comes in gel-form so it doesn’t have any hazardous substances like bases, Methylene Chloride. And not only can you use it on paint, but can also remove glue, polyurethanes, epoxy and a lot more.
- As a green paint stripper, it’s simple to use and environmental friendly. Whether you are looking to remove old paint from metal, mineral, or wooden substracts, this stripper will work well.
Cons Rust-Oleum Automotive Aircraft Remover
- The Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover is an extremely powerful stripping agent such that it may only work on only bare metals with a surface coating. Unless you are looking to strip metal to bare, it’s not advisable to use it on any other surface. You can choose any of the other products on this list that works well for other surfaces. If you are only working with metal surfaces though, this is the #1 stripper to use.
- Also, do everything possible that it doesn’t touch your hand. Get a rubber glove or any glove that can take a strong chemical agent to save yourself from skin contact with the stripper.
Who Is This for?
The Rust-Oleum Automotive Aircraft Remover is designed for those who are looking for the best chemical stripper that can remove paint/stain effectively.
2. Best Paint Stripper for Metal
After going through several user reviews, recommendations, and comment on different strippers, we’ve come to the conclusion that one of the most common surfaces that people need a paint stripper for is metal.
When you are trying to remove paint/rust from your wheel, cookware, aluminum, you need a strong stripper that’s designed primarily for this surface.
For this reason, we found the Goof Off Professional Strength Remover to the best paint stripper for metal.
Here is a detailed review of this stripper:
Goof Off FG658 Professional Strength Remover
The Professional Strength Remover from Goof Off is made in the United States of America and is available in a 22 fl oz bottle with a trigger spray.
You can use it at home or take it with you to your office or job site.
This stripper is biodegradable and will work for the first time of application.
The Goof Off Strength Remover can cleanup dried-on latex paint and remove residue left by bumper stickers on your car paint.
It is a powerful and effective solution for removing all kinds of spots and stains that most ordinary household cleaners will pale at.
You don’t just use it for removing paint though, it has many other uses as well. With this paint remover, you can remove glue, adhesives, crayon, marker, gum, scuff marks, tree sap, nail polish, and many more.
Not only that, but you can also use in on a variety of surfaces like metals, glass, brick, wood, concrete, grout, vinyl tops, fiberglass, and hand tools.
It can also go on countertops, automotive surfaces – thus, making it easy to eliminate stains and spots quickly and easily, without messing around.
This is one of the favorite features of this stripper as most others are only able to work effectively on a few surfaces. Moreover, it is among the few paint strippers that don’t let out harsh fumes or oily residue.
This makes it a suitable paint remover for DIYers and those looking to save time and get paint removed much more quickly.
Pros of the Goof Off Professional Strength:
- One of the advantages of this stripper is that you can use it on your automobile without harming the previous paint underneath. Imagine you have a silver car and someone sprays paint it with a black paint. Unless you have a strong paint remover, you may find it difficult to remove the paint without affecting the original paint. Fortunately, the Goof Off FG658 Professional Strength Remover does it for you so you don’t have to worry.
- While it contains both xylene and acetone, you can use gloves while using it so the chemicals don’t permeate your skin. You can use Nitrile gloves since those are solvent resistant and will protect your skin from all kinds of organic solvents like acetone. Also, you can use disposable gloves or your regular rubber cleaning gloves, all of which works well for protecting your hands from any spill.
- You can use it on glasses too. Whether you are trying to remove stickers on your mirrors or removing “mirror” paint from glass, the Goof Off FG658 Professional Strength Remover will help you remove the residue disfiguring your glass. If it leaves behind it a film, you can try Windex to remove the film so you have a clean and clear looking glass.
- Removing spray paint with this product just got easier than before. You can use it to remove paint on your windows and tail lights as well as metal and plastic. As long as the paint is not on a wooden surface or something similar, you should get a good result removing paint.
Cons of the Goof Off Professional Strength:
- While it contains acetone, this remover will not remove super glue from any surface. This is because the super glue is acrylic and this product is made for removing paint, tar, gums, and similar things like that. However, there is a particular Goof off that’s made specifically for removing super glue so you can check that instead.
- While this will work on most surfaces, it’s better not to use it on leather. While it will remove paint from leather, it may strip off the leather finishing too, so you have an unusable piece of leather. Also, it might not work well on wood furniture as it might leave an oily residue.
- Another downside of the Goof Off FG658 Professional Strength Remover is the strong odor. However, this is something you’ve to put up with because all strippers and paint removers come with a strong smell. It’s your job not to inhale it for a long period of time during use. Thus, I recommend you use it in a well-ventilated area to avoid a negative effect on your health.
Who Is This For?
If you intend to remove paint spill/drip from metal surfaces, this stripper is suitable for your need. It’s strong, popular, and moderately priced.
Why Should You Buy this Stripper?
Unless you are using it every single day, this product will last for several years and you won’t have to purchase another until after you’ve exhausted the content on the first one.
However, it’s also nice to buy two or more bottles at once if you intend to use it regularly.
3. Best Latex Paint Stripper
Most homeowners and DIY painters often use latex paint like acrylic, vinyl acrylic, you’ll need something that’s dedicated for that.
Since this type of paint is water-based, you don’t need a chemical paint stripper help you getting paint off metal or wood surface. Fortunately, the Motsenbocker’s Latex Based Paint Remover is a water-based, latex paint stripper.
Here is a little more detail about this stripper:
Motsenbocker’s Lift Off 413-01 Latex Based Paint Remover
The Motsenbocker’s Lift Off Paint Remover comes with a kit that’s simple and easy to use, so you don’t have to buy any extras after purchasing the stripper.
It’s a 22 oz ltx paint remover that’s made in the United States with the best of materials to ensure professional results every time you use it.
It can remove both new and hold lacquer, stencil paints, latex paints, wood stains, enamels, overspray and more.
And you can use it on a wide number of surfaces including brick, concrete, tools, upholstery, carpet, brushes, vehicles and a lot more.
It is Green Cross Certified for quality assurance. It comes with a low VOC, is water-based, and environmentally friendly.
This latex paint remover is suitable when you want to remove paint but want to maintain the item you’re removing the paint from.
The stripper actually proves its name by removing the long bond established between the surface and the paint so the paint can easily be scrapped off while keeping it intact for safe and easy disposal.
This means the surface will be safe from damage and the paint will still be gathered in one place for disposal.
Pros of the Motsenbocker’s Lift Off Paint Remover:
- The Motsenbocker’s Lift Off 413-01 Latex Based Paint Remover comes with an Enviro Science Formula that makes it environment and user-friendly. If you are among those who are conscious of what you buy or like to ensure all your product is safe for your home and environment, this paint spill remover should be on your list. While some make their home beautiful but harm the environment in the process, you’ll achieve both without any dent in your health as a bonus.
- Not only does it work on hard & soft surfaces, you can also use it to remove both fresh and old paints. You can remove paint from trim, molding, floors, wood, vinyl, laminate, and even vehicles. What’s more, you can now go into your house, examine where there are paint spills, and with a few sprays, you can have a clean surface again.
- Another advantage I like about this is the fact that it can help you clean tools used for a painting project. You don’t have to use it for cleaning up spills or unwanted paints, but also those tools used in applying those paints to various surfaces.
- Unlike the Goof Off on the first in this list, you can use this to remove latex paint from leather. Whether you have a leather couch or seat stained with paint, you can use this to remove the paint.
- Another advantage is that you can use it for automotive paint finishes. Most times, your vehicle gets stained and you don’t always want to repaint everytime this happens. If you do, you know how much you’ll be expanding along with the effort. With the help of such a paint remover, you won’t be spending much, aside from the effort required in applying it to remove the stain on your automobile.
Cons of the Motsenbocker’s Lift Off Paint Remover:
- While this product wells absolutely well with removing latex paint, you should know that you’ll still need to scrub with a brush to ensure complete paint removal. It will only clean up light stains on a carpet, for example, but will only loosen up large items.
Who Is This For?
If you are dealing with a water-based (or latex) paint, you may want to look into a non-caustic paint stripper like the Motsenbock’s Paint Remover. It’s the editor’s choice for the best latex paint stripper.
4. Best Varnish Remover
Looking for the best paint and varnish remover? Then look no further. The Citri-Strip ECG73807 is dedicated to only paint and varnish and works better than any other stripper for removing varnish for a variety of surfaces.
It’s popular, trusted, and backed by a reliable brand.
Here is the full detail about this remover:
Citri-Strip ECG73807 Paint and Varnish Remover
The Citri-Strip Paint Remover is another decent paint remover that contains no methylene chloride and is non-caustic.
While you may have to wear a glove and take more protective measures while using other strippers, this one doesn’t require all that as it doesn’t contain all the chemicals that might penetrate the skin.
This remover weighs an 18 oz varnish and aerosol paint remover with an elegant design and smooth finish.
It’s made in the United States and with the biodegradable formula used in making it, it’s safer to use and user-friendly than other strippers on this list.
The Citi-Strip Paint and Varnish Remover weighs 1.2 pounds and measures 3 x 3 x 10 inches, making it one of the lightest strippers on this list. And this truly translates into ease of use even if you’re a first-time user.
It also doesn’t have any harsh fumes and can be used on metal, wood, and masonry surface to remove varnish, lacquer, oil-based paint, epoxy and latex paint.
Pros Citri-Strip Paint and Varnish Remover:
- While not terribly fast, the Citri-Strip ECG73807 Paint and Varnish Remover can remove all sort of paints from a variety of surfaces. Most people have found it effective after it’s left overnight. The stripper would then penetrate the paint and strangle its hold on the surface, making it easy to wash it off the next morning with just a water hose. So, you may not even need to do any scrubbing.
- It’s easy to clean up, spray and have a low odor. Also, it’s not as caustic as the other strippers we have on this list such as the Goof-off. While it is recommended that you wear your gloves while using this, it shouldn’t be as difficult as the others in term of usage. And with the low odor, you can use it on any surface and go to sleep without getting those pungent smell like other paint strippers.
- You can use it to strip paint off of hard-to-reach surfaces such as your grooves, crevices, carved moldings, trim, in one application. It’s able to remove a wide variety of finishes and you can use it on most surface. It has a fresh orange scent to it, so it’s definitely suitable for indoor use.
- Some paint removers require two-folds of effort before you can really remove paint or leftover film. First, you have to spray and second, you have to brush/scrub to remove the paint. For this, you can remove paint and varnish with little to no effort. However, be aware that it’s not as powerful as chemical-based strippers so the performance may be limited relative to a chemical-based stripper like the Goof Off.
Cons of the Citri-Strip Paint and Varnish Remover:
- Unlike the Goof off Paint Remover, this stripper may not work well with removing dry paint on carpets. The stripper is so powerful that it might destroy the carpet fiber by creating a big mess and letting the paint draining into the carpet. You can go with the Goof Off in this case if that’s what you’re looking for.
- If you are a regular user, another problem you can encounter is that the content in one bottle may not be sufficient. For this, you may get better results by ordering more than one if you intend using it on a large surface. This means you can use a whole can on a small area with minimal removal of paint, which is weaker in comparison to other chemical-based paint removers.
Who Is This For?
Can’t find a stripper that can help you strip off paint and varnish off your metal surface? Then, you need to try this one!
5. Best Automotive Paint Stripper
When you scourge the internet for paint strippers, you’ll quickly find out that there are not many strippers for stripping paint from automotive and aircraft.
However, you’ll come across the popular KLEAN-STRIP Aircraft Paint Stripper. When it comes to stripping paint off automobiles, it’s the #1.
Don’t believe? Here are the full details of this stripper:
GAR343 KLEAN-STRIP Aircraft Paint Stripper 1 Gallon
The KLEAN-STRIP Aircraft Stripper can be used on lacquers, polyurethanes, baked enamels, and epoxies.
Its non-corrosive component ensures that you can use it on common metals under and don’t have to wait a long time before you see the effect.
This paint spill remover works fairly well as long as you apply it properly and wait it out to soften the paint before you descend on scraping them off the surface.
Fortunately, it can soften the paint in just one coat, cutting down the time required to complete your job.
Note: While there is a cheaper version of this product, the more expensive one is thicker and will adhere better for use on vertical applications.
If you are not particularly looking for this feature, you may choose the cheaper one since that will save you the cost and achieve the same purpose.
Conclusively, if you are looking for a way of removing paint from your aircraft, this is a good option to try.
Pros of the KLEAN-STRIP Aircraft Stripper:
- It is suitable for removing paint from automobiles. The aircraft stripper is specifically designed to be used on metal items – which is especially true if you are trying to remove latex paint from the surface. So, if you have a stain on your automobile, you can easily remove it without scraping off the paint underneath. As stated, you can use it on other metals too as long as they are not powder coated.
- It can take off new or old paints from different surfaces. However, you should be aware that removing old paint may require several applications to remove it completely. Also, it’s worth mentioning that there is a strong odor to this paint stripper, so it’s better used outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.
- Unlike other paint strippers, there is enough content in one package, making it easy to clean a wide surface area at once. In another review (of the Citri-Strip Paint Remover) it is recommended that you can buy more than one because many users were complaining that the content isn’t enough. With this remover, you don’t have to buy more than one since it has enough to cover a large surface.
- It works on aluminum too. Although, it may not be specifically stated on the package or on the product page, many users have found success with using it on aluminum as well as concrete, wooden, glass surfaces, etc. If you are using it on some surfaces like brick, which is porous, you may have to engage in more application compared to other surfaces like metals.
Cons of the KLEAN-STRIP Aircraft Stripper:
- One of the downsides of this stripper is that it cannot be used on fiberglasses. This is because it will delaminate it, thus making it unusable. Instead, you can sand down your fiberglass with a DA if you want to remove any form of paint on it.
- Because it is made out of a gel material, so it should be used on horizontal surfaces. Although it is very thick, it might run off surfaces that are round or where there is an angle to the surface you are using it on.
Who Is This For?
If you have tried different paint strippers for auto paint stripping and don’t seem to be getting better results, here is the most suitable stripper for the job. It’s widely adopted by those looking to strip paint off their auto and aircraft.
6. Goof Off FG672 Graffiti Remover, Aerosol
The Goof Off Graffiti Remover, Aerosol is one of Goof Off’s strongest formulas.
As a highly rated, professional-grade remover in the market, it can cut through the strongest and toughest spots and stains the first time.
Its unique formula works faster and better than others removers on paint, grease, grime, and adhesives.
It’s great for removing items like stickers, asphalt, latex paint, graffiti, varnish, gum, candle wax, scuff marks, and much more.
The Goof Off Graffiti Remover can be used on all surfaces such as concrete, brick, painted surfaces, countertops, and grow.
From the different Goof Off reviews that we went through, we have found there is a general consensus that this product delivers a good result.
The Goof Off spray can is also big enough to cover most small applications.
Pros of the Goof Off Graffiti Remover:
- The Goof Off Graffiti Remover will get spray paint off garage door, as well as a vehicle wheel, and fence. As for the fence though, you may need to use a power washer to effectively remove the spray paint. If you can’t get your hands on one, you may have to scrub for some time and possibly use more than one can.
- It’s easy to use and can remove spray paint off stone, brick or cement. While there are many other surfaces that this stripper will work on, we’ve found that most people have had success with these surfaces. To use on other surfaces, it’s best to use it in conjunction with a wire brush or a metal kitchen sponge.
- You can also use it to remove graffiti, which is the main item that it’s meant for. However, as stated before, it can work on any other material. It also comes with a larger package, which means there is enough in one can to last you for a long time.
- Many people who have tried it confirms that the effectiveness of this stripper (like any other one on the market) will be determined by the material/paint you are trying to remove. Consequently, it’s been effective in removing spray paint from windows, concrete patio, stucco, shirts, enamel, and even stainless steel surfaces. However, the time it will take to clean each surface differs, which is important to take into consideration for accurate results.
Cons of the Goof Off Graffiti Remover:
- This stripper able to remove most types of paint stains, spills and drips, however, each material will require a different application. Sometimes, you can get away with just spraying, waiting a few minutes and washing away. Other times, you may have to use this with a wire brush or metal brush or you can use a power washer. Some users also claim what seems to be a poor result from the stripper, however, they are in the minority.
- Although it will remove paint from most surfaces, it might take off the paint/stain underneath too. However, this depends on how strong the surface is as well as the paint you intend removing.
- It may discolor the surface and leave some residue. If you buy this, ensure you follow the instructions properly as most of those claiming this may not have done so.
7. Best Eco Friendly Paint Remover
If you are looking for the safest stripper to use indoor, look no further. The Ready-Strip Plus is popularly acclaimed eco-friendly and user-friendly paint remover to be released into the market.
You don’t need to lock your cat away because you want to strip paint. And you don’t have to put up with nasty odors all through the period of using this product.
To know more, here is the full review:
Back to Nature Ready-Strip Plus Paint & Varnish Remover
In the past, removing old paint meant using harsh chemicals and worrying about toxic fumes. Well, not anymore!
The Ready-Strip Plus Paint & Varnish Remover from Back to Nature is a non-toxic environmentally friendly and user-friendly paint stripper for any painting project.
It contains no methylene, chloride or other caustic chemicals and there are no dangerous fumes in it.
Because of its non-chemical materials, it’s safe for skin contact which means you can use it safely indoors.
It can remove up to seven layers of oil or latex paint in a single application all you have to do is just brush it, roll it, or even spread it on with a putty knife.
This paint stripper os thick enough to stick to vertical surfaces and it is very effective in removing paint spills or drips.
Pros of the Back to Nature Ready-Strip Paint & Varnish Remover:
- The Paint & Varnish Remover also has a unique color-changing feature that makes it easy to use. When applied, it goes on green and changes to white when it’s time to remove it.
- Usually, it will signal when paint removal has occurred which is off-white and it can remove up to seven layers of varnish or paint with just one application, whether you want to use it on marble, metal, brick, plaster, wood, or stone, it will help you strip out unwanted mess or spills.
- Like the others here, it has a good scent but leaves little residue even on concrete. The other products from the Back to Nature brand include Smart Strip and the Ready Strip. While the Ready Strip is much cheaper, It may not be as powerful as the Multi Strip. The Smart strip is also very consistent but may dry out faster than the Multi Strip
- Since it’s a water-based paint stripper, it’s easy to use and clean. As long as you apply it heavy, cover it with a plastic wrap and allow it to work for a few minutes or hours, it should work effectively.
Cons of the Back to Nature Ready-Strip Paint & Varnish Remover:
- While this stripper will work on most surfaces, you can’t use it on plastic, rubber, linoleum, sheetrock as it can damage those items. Also, it won’t work well with sidewalk or similar porous surfaces. Moreover, you have to watch it so it doesn’t dry out which will tamper with its effect.
- According to some users, this product will actually take off everything it’s left on. This also means it can take off the underlying stain. And since it’s non-caustic, there might be some scrubbing to do depending on the type of surface and material you are working with.
Who Is This For?
Those who are conscious of using paint strippers at home or abhor the unpleasant smell that comes with paint strippers will find this is suitable for their needs.
8. Best Paint Stripper for Wood
Don’t let the name of this stripper deceive you. It’s one of the best paint strippers for wood you’ll find on the market. It’s made from a gel that’s hard on the surface applied on but easy on the hand spraying it.
You don’t always have to use a chemical paint remover to get rid of stain/latex paint. With the Goo Gone’s ecological approach to latex paint remover, you’ll find the statement to be true.
Check out the Goo Gone stripper in more details below:
Goo Gone Surface Safe Latex Paint Cleaner
Painting is one of the most popular Do-It-Yourself projects and spills, drips, or splatters are bound to happen.
GooGone, a leader in tough task removers has a solution for the toughest painting problems.
Goo Gone Surface Safe Latex Paint Cleaner is specially formulated for paint removal.
The no-mess spray-gel clings to the surface to quickly remove paint spills and splatters without damaging the surface below.
The Goo Gone water-based formula with citrus power quickly removes wet and dry latex acrylic and enamel paint from a variety of surfaces including wood, ceramic, tile, and most plastics.
Goo Gone Surface Safe Latex Paint Cleaner is easy to use since all you do is:
- Wipe away unwanted spills with a clean cloth to remove any excess and
- Turn the nozzle to the spray position and apply it directly to the stain,
- Allow for a few minutes and it will start working.
Use Goo Gone Surface Safe Latex Paint Cleaner to clean a variety of painting accessories and it’s great for cleanup after arts and crafts projects too so.
Pros of the Goo Gone Surface Safe Latex Paint Cleaner:
- It is safe on most surfaces including plastic, tiles, glass, appliances, and metal floors. You can use it to wipe away splatters, paint drips, and over-spray. you can equally use it on hardwood flooring as long as the hardwood floors have good finishing.
- It’s safe on most surfaces including plastic, tiles, glass, appliances, and metal floors. You can use it to wipe away splatters, paint drips, and over-spray. You can equally use it on hardwood flooring as long as the hardwood floor has good finishing.
- Also, you can use it on any clothing which is not leather, suede, or silk. This is because of the damage or disfiguring the stripper can do to these materials. Generally, this product will work on water-based surfaces. But because brick and similar surfaces are porous, you’ll need to make multiple applications.
- With this stripper, you can remove stains on hardwood floors without taking the finish off. As long as you allow it to sit for a few minutes, it should soften the paint and allow you to remove the other areas that are too stubborn to come out.
- You can also use it to remove spray dust if you paint a lot and in an environment where there are lots of dust, you can’t do but have some spray dust after painting. Just follow the instructions and you should have a cleaner surface.
Cons Goo Gone Surface Safe Latex Paint Cleaner:
- Because the product is strong, it may remove paint spills on a surface but also with the stain underneath especially if you are using on a wooden surface. It’s advisable to use on wood with a polyurethane finish as that will only make it use
- It cannot be used on suede, leather, or silk. Not only can it remove some of the natural oil from leather but it can damage it. So, if you actually like this one and want to use it, you might have to allow it enough time to soften or try it in an inconspicuous area to see the effect, which should then guide your next action.
Who Is This For?
After metal, wood is the next most popular surface that people deal with. But which stripper is the best one for removing paint from wood? Here it is:
9. 3M 9099DCNA Large Area Paint and Rust Stripper
The 3M Large Area Paint and Rust Stripper doesn’t give out any of the scents that are common with other paint strippers.
This shows that you don’t have to suffer from nasty odors to remove paint drips/spills.
If you have used chemical or non-chemical paint strippers in the past and don’t like their scent, you should try this out as it won’t give out any odor.
You also don’t the waiting time that’s required when using a chemical paint stripper to strip paint.
You can go in and remove your paint/stain anytime without feeling pushed.
It’s made from Scotch-Brite abrasive web that gives it an outstanding durability such that it doesn’t rust or splinter like the regular wire brush.
The peak of the brush is flexible enough to conform to surface contours and corners, which makes cleaning paint from those hard-to-reach areas even easier.
It also doesn’t make a groove/hole that may come up as a result of using a metal brush. And this stripper works on metal, wood, concrete surfaces. You can use it in almost any standard household drill.
Moreover, there are refills for this item so you don’t have to buy a new one when the abrasive web wears out, saving you money on your next use.
You don’t need any extra mounting hardware with your drill before you can use it. Usually, it’ll fit into the drill like a drill bit.
Pros of the 3M Paint and Rust Stripper:
- One of the advantages of this stripper is that it not only can strip paint off surfaces but can also strip dirt, grim, or rust from metals. Sometimes, you’ll use it in stripping off paint and at the end have something usable next time. With this, you can use it when next you want to clean/remove something that’s not paint related, thus saving you the cost of ordering another unit.
- My favorite feature of this stripper is that it doesn’t strip off the paint underneath the stain you are trying to remove. Moreover, one unit can really handle a medium surface area depending on how many layers of paint/rust you want to remove.
- Also, the pads/web on the stripper will wear out, depending on how much pressure you are applying. The more pressure you apply, the faster they wear down. However, the advantage to this is that you can use it to strip spills/drops of paints over a large surface area faster than using a standard chemical stripper.
- Another advantage is that you don’t need to use any chemical stripper in addition to this. All you have to do is to connect it to your drill and strip layers of glass paint off any surface.
- Because you are not using any chemical, it might take a little more time to get all the paint off the surface, but in the end, you are going to be able to remove all stains without affecting the original finish.
Cons of the 3M Paint and Rust Stripper:
- This is not in liquid form as the other paint strippers. For this reason, it can wear off but not as quickly as a wire brush. Also, this may not work well on plastic as it’ll be too harsh.
- While it’ll work on most surfaces and strip down the stain, you should be aware that it’ll scratch the surface of whatever you are using it on. So if you are looking to use this on chrome or similar surfaces, you may want to look into appropriate strippers to do the job.
- This stripper may not be suitable for beginners. If this is your first time of using a paint stripper or have never used a power drill before, it might not be that easy to use this for paint remover. Most beginners find using chemical or non-chemical paint strippers because of the little learning curve.
Why Buy this Stripper?
This stripper can be used to remove paint from wood without damaging the wood. As long as you apply moderate pressure while stripping the paint off, you shouldn’t have any problems.
It’s just like using a sandpaper to strip paint off wood. If you use it too much in one area, it can damage the wood – if it’s not light wood.
Stronger wood can take more pressure and you can even use a light sander to smoothen the wood after stripping.
10. SOY Gel Professional Paint Stripper
If you have read any of the Soy Gel Paint Remover Reviews, you’ll know that this product has been in existence for decades.
Fortunately, the manufacturer has not stripped down the quality of this stripper – it still works excellently.
Following the manufacturer’s instructions, you can easily clean up this stripper with water.
Not only is it safe to but you can use it to remover several layers of paint in one application.
Because it is 100% biodegradable, it won’t present any form of health hazards.
Other chemical and non-chemical paint strippers are very effective at stripping paint of surfaces, however, many of them are not very friendly with the environment.
Pros of the Soy Gel Professional Paint Stripper:
- While some users have found it doesn’t work with exterior house paint, others confirm that it works great for removing exterior paint. It’s important to know that results depend entirely on what kind of paint you are working with – as with any other paint strippers out there.
- It works on a variety of surfaces ranging from brick, concrete/cement, wood, glass, and more. However, to get better results, you may have to do a test area to know how long it’ll take to remove paint from the surface.
- With this product, you can remove all coatings down to the surface leaving you a clean slate for new paint. However, you should be aware that removing painting completely from porous surfaces like brick may not be possible.
- It’s also odorless, which makes it possible to use it indoors. This means you won’t have to use a respirator while stripping – but only your gloves and overalls for maximum protection
- This product works just as the old, highly-toxic paint strippers. Since it’s water soluble, you can strip without fear of injury to your hands. What’s more, it also clean-up very easily. Although it’s slower than other popular strippers like the Goof off and Aircraft Remover, you only have to pay a small price with no foul odor or health hazards.
Cons of the Soy Gel Professional Paint Stripper:
- This stripper may have a different label when it reaches your door. This is because the original company, Franmar, rebranded their line of products under the Blue Bear name. So, if you see a discrepancy in the product listing and the actual product that reaches you, this shouldn’t come as a surprise.
- You can’t spray this product (because it’s too thick for that) but you can apply it with a paintbrush. Although you can thin it and spray it, that would defeat the purpose the stripper is made for in the first place.
The Best Paint Stripper Reviews: A Comprehensive FAQs
Is Goof Off Safe On Car Paint?
Although this may seem like a personal question, we have seen this question asked by many automobile owners who are looking for a way to remove paint from their vehicles.
After going through dozens of reviews on Goof off Professional Strength Remover, it is safe to say you can use this product on your car. It’s safe to use and will not strip off your car paint.
What’s an Easy Way to Strip Paint from Metal?
The easiest way of removing/stripping paint from metal is to use a paint stripper. With a paint stripper, you don’t have to get your hands on the chemical and it works almost all the time.
You do have the option of using other methods such as using household items like vinegar to remove paint. However, those might take some know-how to get great results.
That’s why it’s better to use a paint remover. And we recommend the Rustoleum Aircraft Remover for stripping paint off metals.
Also Read: Best Paint Sprayer for Cabinets
What’s the Strongest Paint Remover?
The Rust-Oleum Automotive 255448 32-Ounce AircrAft Remover is the strongest paint stripper we have come across, and there are many out there. It provides a flexible solution for any project that involves paint removal.
Not only is it an excellent paint stripper, but is moderately priced, so that everyone can try their hands on it.
In addition, it works on aluminum, metal, fiberglass, and can be used to remove most two-component materials, varnish, oil, and alkyd-based paints.
What Is A Good Paint Remover?
Generally, a good paint remover is one that helps you remove paint efficiently and effectively without leading to lead poisoning and without being hazardous to your health.
Most of the paint removers we have on this list are top rated in their respective categories and generally have similar characteristics.
Having said that, you’ll be able to find many of these on the market. However, that might be difficult, especially if you are just buying for the first time.
This is why we have selected only the best paint removers on this list, all you have to do is pick one that suits your needs.
How Much Is A Paint Remover?
Usually, paint removers are not expensive.
However, they are available in a wide variety of prices depending on the manufacturer and the quality of the product.
Some paint removers cost less than $10 while others can be as expensive as $50. The major thing to pay attention is the brand selling the product.
Is this a reputable brand? How good is the customer service?
Also, you need to examine the product and see if there are generally positive reviews of the product. If not, what are the alternatives?
You need to do all these things – doing it right will spell the difference between buying a good stripper and a bad one.
Also Read: Best Paint Brus for Trim
How to Remove Flaking Paint
If you have flaking paint on your wall or woodwork, you need a different process than using a stripper to remove the peeling paint.
Before trying to do this, make sure you are protected. This means putting on your glasses, safety mas, and gloves.
This is even more important if you are dealing with lead-based paint. Also, you’ll need a tarp over the area so you can catch falling paint.
If you have any furniture or baseboard, molding, rug nearby, you want to remove these or have them covered appropriately.
The next thing is to use a paint scraper to scrape off loose paint on the problem area. Since this is peeling paint, you should have no trouble removing the paint with a small crapper.
Usually, there will be cracks/holes after the scrapping and you’ll need to fix them before you even think of repainting.
You can use a patching compound and apply it with a putty knife to cover the holes. Allow this to dry and you’re ready to sand the surface.
The reason you have to sand the area is that you need a smooth surface area to repaint. Using a fine-grit sandpaper, sand the problem area so there are no grooves or lines.
After that, use a wet sponge to wipe the area clean. Using another dry rag, wipe it again, this time allowing it to dry.
If you want, you can prime the surface area to protect the paint from flaking again quickly. If not, you can now paint over the surface.
How Do You Strip Paint Off Walls?
Here’s the thing, you really don’t want to take all the paint off the wall. What you want is a nice smooth surface to work with.
If you start taking paint off the wall, you could spend all day on one little wall. You’re going to paint over it anyway. Instead of that, just get a putty knife, a joint compound, and a sanding block.
With the putty knife, scrape the wall and ensure you remove any loose paint from the wall. After that, don’t paint yet.
This is because all those places where paint fell off will show after you have repainted. What you’ll do instead is apply the joint compound on the area and allow it to dry for a few hours.
Once it’s dry enough, take your sanding block and hit the wall gently until everything is smooth.
With this step, you should be able to get a glass, smooth wall that you can put your paint on.
Can Vinegar Remove Paint from Wood?
Sometimes after using your paint stripper to remove paint from your woodwork, you may find that there is a fine film of paint residue that can’t be removed with the same stripper.
No matter how you try, a paint remover may not get the job done. However, with vinegar, you can easily remove the residue and restore the glory of the wood.
Because vinegar is made of some variety of diluted alcohol like beer, rice, it has some properties of a cleaning agent.
This is why most people try to use them for removing paint because of this powerful features. There are many guides out there that will show you how to remove paint using vinegar.
Because of the sheer amount of techniques and DIY involved with stripping paint from wood with vinegar, we can’t really do justice to the topic.
Does Paint Thinner Remove Paint from Metal?
Paint thinner can remove oil-based paint from your paintbrush, paint sprayer, or any other equipment you use in your painting job.
You can also use them to remove grease or asphalt. This is because all paint thinners are mineral oil-based solvents.
However, this you can only when the paint still wet. Once the paint dries out, it becomes difficult, if not impossible to remove paint from a metal surface using a paint thinner.
Acetone is a material that’s strong enough to remove any paint from metal – whether it’s still wet or dry.
And most paint strippers often have acetone as one of the main materials. That’s why they are a good choice for removing dried paint from a metal surface.
Also, you should not use your paint thinner with lacquers, shellac or latex paint.
Read this too: Best Paint Sprayer for Fences
Comparisons of the Best Paint Strippers
Final Words on the Best Paint Strippers
There are many paint strippers on the market. You can use most of them for removing a variety of finishes from paint surfaces. This includes the likes of metal, wood, aluminum, and fiberglass.
When looking for the best paint stripper, you’ll need to outline your needs and expectations. Make sure you set up your criteria before comparing paint removers. This will save you a lot of headaches later on.
You should also restrict your orders to credible stores like Amazon since they provide mostly genuine products from reputable manufacturers.
Also, choose retailers that offer quality guarantees. Most importantly, those that have provisions for replacing any item that’s defective on delivery.
By clicking any of the paint removers above, you’ll be taken to the product page. There, you can read the full review of each paint remover.
Plus all other reviews from previous users of the item. With this guide, you should be able to select one of the best paint strippers for your projects.
Check our paint strippers category for more ideas.