This post was last updated on June 17th, 2018 at 07:36 pm
Because of the wide range of sprayers on the market, it can be moderately difficult to get yourself the best paint sprayer for fences.
If you know where to look and which brand to research, you can uncover some gems.
With this guide, you can compare features, pros, and cons of the best fence paint sprayers. All you have to do is choose the one that suits your needs!
Why Paint Your Fence With a Paint Sprayer?
A common question among beginners is whether they can paint a fence with a sprayer or go with a paintbrush.
Spray painting your fence does not only help you establish a unique exterior appeal. However, it can also be used as an additional protection layer to keep your fences from the elements.
However, this is achievable when done the right way using high-quality sprayers and paints.
There are several purported paint sprayer for fences in the market. And while most are promoted as the ultimate offers, not all will depict desirable features.
What’s more, there is no single best fence sprayer for every user. This is mainly because requirements vary from one person to another.
…some sprayers simply have outstanding features that help you accomplish the goal. Such a model can be considered the best fence paint sprayer in its own right. Here is a brief review of some highly reliable fence paint sprayers in the market.
But…What’s the Overall Best Paint Sprayer for Fences?
If you’re curious (or in a hurry):
The Critter Spray Gun is the best paint sprayer for staining your fences!
Whether you are a homeowner learning how to paint your fences with a sprayer or a handyman searching for the best sprayer for painting fences, you will find the Critter Spray Products 22032 118SG Siphon Gun to be suitable for your needs.
It is an excellent paint sprayer. And yet you’ll find that it is one of the cheapest you’ll find online to paint your fence with.
In addition, the Critter Spray Products 22032 118SG Siphon Gun provides a flexible solution for any other type of home painting project.
With it, you can paint your fence 10x faster than using a roller or paintbrush.
And if you want to put a fine finish on your furniture, you can save more time and effort because of the less strain during painting.
The Critter Spray Products 22032 118SG Siphon Gun comes fully packed with a superior mason jar. That will surely help you handle a wide variety of projects.
For these reasons, we recommend it as the best fence sprayer for you!
Want To See Other Paint Sprayer for Fences on the List? Read on…
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of our comparison, let’s have a bird’s eye view of the top-rated sprayers.
Look at the features and pricing data below then choose one of them:
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table of the Best Paint Sprayer for Fences of 2018
- Comparison Reviews of the Best Paint Sprayer for Fences:
- #1. Critter Spray Products 22032 Spray Gun
- #2. HomeRight Finish Max Fine Finish HVLP Sprayer
- #3. Fuji 2903-T70 Mini-Mite 3 PLATINUM – T70 HVLP Spray System
- #4. Wagner 0529010 FLEXiO 590 HVLP Paint Sprayer
- #5. Wagner 0417005 HVLP Control Spray Sprayer
- #6. Campbell Hausfeld HVLP (DH790000AV) Gravity Feed Sprayer
- #7. Wagner 0515034 ProCoat Stand Airless Paint Sprayer
- Final Words on the Best Paint Sprayer for Fences
- Best Paint Sprayer for Fences
- Handling & Maintenance
- Ease of Use
- The Advantages
- The Disadvantages
- Share this with friends:
Comparison Table of the Best Paint Sprayer for Fences of 2018
Comparison Reviews of the Best Paint Sprayer for Fences:
- Critter Spray Products 22032 Spray Gun
- HomeRight Finish Max Fine Finish HVLP Sprayer
- Fuji 2903-T70 Mini-Mite 3 PLATINUM – T70 HVLP Spray System
- Wagner 0529010 FLEXiO 590 HVLP Paint Sprayer
- Wagner 0417005 HVLP Control Spray Sprayer
- Campbell Hausfeld HVLP (DH790000AV) Gravity Feed Sprayer
- Wagner 0515034 ProCoat Stand Airless Paint Sprayer
#1. Critter Spray Products 22032 Spray Gun
This is a fence spray gun that’s designed to allow the woodworker or carpenter give beautiful finishing touches to his woodwork.
Designed with both professionals and amateurs in mind, the Critter Spray Products 22032 Siphon Gun makes spraying an enjoyable exercise since it is very easy to use.
It weighs 1.6 pounds and is largely made up of a metal gun and a glass jar. Our Critter Spray Products 22032 review will paint a clearer picture of what the product presents.
As already hinted, this gun is ideal when smaller projects are involved or when using big spray guns will be awkward.
This is mostly because its nozzle produces a tiny jet of paint. This might prove hectic for anyone looking to coat a very large surface.
Cleaning up this fence sprayer is not stressful. All you need is a small amount of thinner and paper towel to wipe clean the jar gasket and the tube.
So if you are looking for the air spray gun for fence painting, you should go with the Critter Spray Gun.
Overview of Benefits
- Makes spraying easy and fast even for starters
- Comparatively cheaper price
- Very portable and easy to carry
- The Critter Spray Gun comes with a 16-ounce mason jar but the beauty is that you can buy even extra jars to enjoy the sprayer to its fullest. Usually, when buying extra jars, you’ll be faced with buying either wide or small mouth. When buying extra mason jar for this sprayer, you should choose the smallmouth (which is 16-oz).
Overview of Drawbacks
- Limited spraying options when compared to its competitors
Pros of the Critter Spray Gun:
- One of the advantages of this sprayer is that you can use it with chalk paint. If you are looking to spray chalk paint, you may think that only HVLP sprayers can do the job well. However, the Critter Spray Gun has proven to be a very good companion to anyone looking to use chalk paint. And you can even use it to spray latex, oil-based paint, acrylic, primer and polycrylic as well as other materials. This is what other sprayers lack but with the Critter Spray Products 22032, you can rest assured it’ll do a good job.
- The advantage of the Critter Spray Gun over other sprayers is that it doesn’t need much airflow to be effective. If you have a Porter Cable pancake compressor of 3 cfm at 90 PSI or above, you shouldn’t have any problem with using this sprayer. And if you have something higher than this, you may have to turn it down to the required pressure so that you can get the optimum airflow. The reason is that the spray may become too dry and dusty if you give it too much pressure. Some compressors may require thinning the material you are using though so you can try this out to get a smooth spray pattern on the gun. The spray gun can also work with the popular Poter-cable compressor.
- Another favorable point about the sprayer is that it’s easy to use and easy to clean. If you are just starting out with spray painting, you don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars on a paint sprayer and you certainly don’t have to suffer before you can complete simple tasks. With the Critter Spray Products Siphon Cup, you have a shorter learning curve and only a few dollars to get it.
- Attaching the mason jars and sealing/storing them is quite easy. You can attach the mason jars by using the top lid to screw the critter to the jar and attach the air compressor to the bottom and start painting. You can get yourself another lid from another jar to store up your paint until you are ready to use it again. When you are through with the painting, you should watch everything clean and store them cleaned to avoid any clogging when next you want to use the sprayer.
- While the critter Spray Products Siphon Gun comes with jar gasket, you can easily use it without attaching them. You can seal the jar on the spray gun without the gasket so you don’t need to incur additional cost for getting extra gaskets. Some users have also found that the gaskets can make it harder to clean although you can soak it in mineral spirits overnight so you can clean it easily.
Cons of the Critter Spray Gun:
- The problem with this spray gun is that it is not suitable for painting basement walls, fences, and similar as it’s small and may need filling many times over. This is why you are restricted to spraying wood and handling smaller painting jobs. If you have some furniture such as cabinets and cupboard, you use it on these but for larger projects, you’ll need something bigger and more versatile like the Grace Magnum X5 sprayer.
- You may need a lot of tweaking to get the correct consistency on this spray gun. However, you shouldn’t put off buying this because of that because this is something you can easily overcome given the simplicity of the gun. It’s lightweight though, and you can prepare extra jars of paint ahead of your painting task.
- You may not be able to spray a large surface area such as fences, walls, or a whole room. The Critter Spray Products Siphon Cup is made specifically for smaller tasks like furniture makeover or door painting. Doing large painting work with this may require extra effort and time commitments. So, if you paint a lot and expect to carry out large paint job in the future, you may do better with a much bigger sprayer.
What Makes it Special?
Whether you are using a lacquer or polyurethane finish, you will be able to achieve project results with brush marks that mar your creative effort.
#2. HomeRight Finish Max Fine Finish HVLP Sprayer
The HomeRight Finish Max Fine Sprayer is the next on our fence paint sprayer reviews.
This is definitely one of the best paint sprayers for fences with the ability to use chalk-type paints, stain, poly, latex and furniture paints.
It is ideal for small-medium projects and offers 3 spray patterns (vertical, horizontal and circular) including an adjustment knob to expand the round pattern from 1 to 6 inches wide.
Other features include 2mm brass spray tip, 27-ounce cup capacity and housing for improved performance as well as durability.
It sprays evenly to give a professional roller-like finish perfect for both walls and wooden fences.
Some users reported that continuous air flow easily clogs the nozzle even after turning it off. However, this is not a big issue as the majority of users have found it to be easy to use.
Most importantly, it is one of the most affordable paint sprayers — on the market — with outstanding value for money.
So, if you are looking for a less-than-expensive paint sprayer for your next painting project, this is the right sprayer for you.
To make this fence sprayer review more useful, here are a few more details:
Overview of Benefits
- Durable quality sprayer with a wide paint cup
- Professional design and performance for fast paintwork
- Perfect for small projects like painting your backyard garden fence
Overview of Drawbacks
- Not ideal if you want to work on a large fence
- You get what you pay for; has heating issues
Pros of the HomeRight C800766 Sprayer:
- The HomeRight C800766 Sprayer can be used both indoor and outdoor. However, if you are using it indoor, you have to ensure that everything you don’t want to spray is adequately covered. This is because the material sprayed will definitely reach beyond the area you are targeting and that may lead to a globe of a mess. Also, it’s better to use a paint booth when spraying outdoors as there is going to be significant overspray compared to a roller.
- This sprayer can be used to paint almost anything – as long as it’s properly thinned – and you can use many materials. Oil and water-based materials like enamels, primers, latex paints, milk paints, polyurethane, clear sealer, chalk paint type, varnish and stain are some of the materials you can use with the HomeRight Finish Max Sprayer.
- The HomeRight Finish Max HVLP Sprayer can take up to 27 ounces of material at once. This means you won’t be refilling often, thus making it a great option for large painting projects. Note that refilling doesn’t always depend on the project you are handling but rather on how you are using the sprayer as well as the type of stain you are using.
- This sprayer comes with a cleaning brush, viscosity cup and an air blowing nozzle. Since you’ll most likely be thinning your paint, you will find the viscosity cup very useful and the cleaning brush makes cleaning the unit easier and faster. The air blowing nozzle also helps with getting a faster paint job, making the spray a worthwhile investment whether you are a beginner or a seasoned pro.
- An advantage that the HomeRight Finish Max C800766 Power Painter has over the Critter Spray Gun is that you don’t need an air compressor to use. It has a built-in compressor and pretty much works out of the box – just plug the extension cord into the wall and start spraying. You can also adjust the spray pattern with the knob that’s close to the trigger so you don’t need to follow too much-complicated instructions to get it to work.
- Since the sprayer can spray horizontally and vertically, you can spray a lot more surfaces. Adjusting the nozzle allows you to spray at a variety of angles and the fact that it is lightweight makes it easy to maneuver when spraying. This makes it even more friendly to first time users and people without much experience spraying.
Cons of the HomeRight C800766 Sprayer:
- If you are looking to paint ceilings with this sprayer, you may be disappointed. The manufacturer specifically stated that the sprayer is not recommended for spraying ceilings due to the possibility of paint getting into the motor which can damage the sprayer. Even though the spray pattern is adjustable, another issue you may run into is uneven coverage. This is because you need to hold the unit level while painting which is not possible with ceilings. But you can still use it for spraying cabinet doors or fence and it works well with thin paints.
- Also, when handling large projects like painting a barn or a whole room, you may need to fill the container quite often compared to when painting a kitchen cabinet or smaller items. It also isn’t that feasible for projects that require large space coverage but if you are looking reach corners, tough angles, it’ll work great.
- To really enjoy this sprayer, you really have to find the thinning consistent as it’ll clog repeatedly if the paint is too thick or require multiple coats if the paint is too thin. However, with the viscosity cup, you shouldn’t find it too difficult to get the right consistency.
What Makes it Special?
With this sprayer, you wield the power to make your fence look as unique as you want, thanks to its different patterns, adjustment, and control.
#3. Fuji 2903-T70 Mini-Mite 3 PLATINUM – T70 HVLP Spray System
Fuji is one of the most reputable pump and sprayer manufacturers in the world and 2903-T70 Mini-Mite 3 PLATINUM – T70 HVLP is one of their unique fence sprayers.
The system uses Platinum turbine which includes a heat dissipation box.
You also get a 25ft. hose to continue painting without constantly moving the entire unit.
This fence paint sprayer comes with hallmark Fuji features including a noise reduction housing, an adjustable control knob (small to large), non-bleed spray guns and stay-cool handles with non-slip grip.
Note: The Fuji Mini-Mite 3 Platinum Spray System may require a lot of practice when dealing with latex paints to avoid uneven spray patterns.
If you are planning to paint your fence with it (which I presume you are), ensure that you read the manual or guidelines or video demo from the manufacturer before using it.
That will save you from wasting your time, effort or valuable paint. Finally, this is another air spray gun for fence painting that you can get now.
Overview of Benefits
- One of the best paint sprayers for fences
- Provides high-quality and uniform finish
- Ideal for both small and large projects
- The Fuji 2903 Mini-Mite PLATINUM System is produced in Canada, which denotes high quality.
- With good quality materials come long lasting usage and a great value for your money.
Overview of Drawbacks
- A bit expensive compared to other models
Pros of the Fuji 2903-T70 Mini-Mite 3 PLATINUM:
- Compared with the Semi-Pro 2 HVLP System which has a 2 stage turbine, the Mini-Mite 3 comes with a 3 stage turbine which generally means a more powerful motor. With more power on the motor, you get more air pressure which brings about more versatility to your projects. The unit also allows you to tune down the amount of air it pushes so that you can handle smaller projects. And don’t forget that this system gives you higher flow rates, which translates into the ability to spray thicker materials – without thinning – than other sprayers struggle with.
- This spray system comes with a matched system where the air compressor and gun are stationed in one place. There is a lot of advantage with this over getting an HVLP sprayer and using it with your existing compressor. First, you don’t have to worry about the disparity between volume. If you are buying a new HVLP sprayer that you’ll use with a separate compressor, you have to constantly worry about getting enough air volume on a consistent basis. When you get this, it’s all plug and play plus a few quick gun adjustment.
- You can use different needle tip and air cap sets from 0.8mm to 2.5mm. Before buying, you should first learn about the model you have so you can get the proper one for it and a quick way is to contact the manufacturer directly. You can also use it with clear lacquer but you may have to thin latex paint for the best result.
- One thing that separates this from the HomeRight Finish Max C800766 HVLP Sprayer and the Critter Spray Gun is that it can hold up well with larger projects like wall painting, fence staining and other big styled projects. Many users have also used it in painting their automobiles and even 14 pine residential doors can be primed and painted.
- While you may get very good results with ordinary HVLP sprayers, many fail when it comes to consistently delivering good results. For the Mini-Mite, you can expect to get consistent results without sacrificing quality. Not only that, you also get to save time and materials and enjoy continuous and better finish.
Cons of the Fuji 2903-T70 Mini-Mite 3 PLATINUM:
- While the initial setup could be done quickly, the Mini-Mite needs some practice – especially with latex – to get used to it. Also, some users have complained about the metal coupling that attaches the hose to the sprayer getting extremely hot. This means that you need to allow the hose to get cool before disconnecting it to avoid burning your hands.
- The price is also on the high side and we have seen that discourage many from buying it. However, if you are looking for some of the best HVLP spray systems on the market, you can’t go wrong with the Fuji 2903 T70 Mini-Mite PLATINUM System.
What Makes it Special?
Its spray control makes it easy to target spots and quickly paint large sections. And most importantly, you can use it to paint your fence with various kinds of paints.
#4. Wagner 0529010 FLEXiO 590 HVLP Paint Sprayer
Another contender in this fence paint sprayer reviews is the Wagner Flexio 590 Sprayer.
Wagner 0529010 is one of the affordable handheld paint sprayers that will work perfectly on your wood and wired fences alike.
It features the trademark iSpray nozzle-adjustment technology that allows you to paint both vertically and horizontally.
You can also pick between wide and narrow release.
Other features include pattern adjustment ring, x-boost turbine nozzle technology, lock-n-go nozzle design (for easy replacement) and two nozzle caps.
With its ergonomic non-slip grip, this is one of the high-performing fence paint sprayer coming at less than 200 dollars.
If you don’t mind cleaning the nozzle frequently (for high efficiency), you will find the flexibility and versatility of the 0529010 useful for your fence painting job.
Even though preparing it might take up some time, you’ll find that this sprayer will save you a lot of time compared to using a brush or roller to paint your fence.
- It is very easy to remove, clean and replace the nozzle
- An ergonomic non-slip grip gives you full control while painting
- You can use un-thinned latex paints as well as oil-based paints
- X-boost turbine nozzle technology ensures high performance at all times
- Not all users think the sprayer is durable enough
- The outcome quality drops after a few paintwork assignments
What Makes it Special?
The Wagner 590 sprayer provides a stippled finish ideal for wooden fences. Not only can you use unthinned latex, oil-based paints, but its non-slip handle allows you to paint longer.
#5. Wagner 0417005 HVLP Control Spray Sprayer
The Wagner Control Spray is another affordable paint sprayer for paint from Wagner featuring the trademark Lock-N-Go technology and a 3-position (vertical, horizontal and round) pattern control.
It can be used with sealers, stains and finish enamels ideal for grills, furniture, and fences.
It also comes with a high-speed turbine that provides high performance, 1-quart plastic paint cup, and a viscosity cup.
With its elegant ergonomic design, this cheap paint sprayer is perfect for DIY fence repainting and patching up worn out paints.
It comes with 3 different pattern controls gives you enough options to provide the finish you want for each section.
Although it is cheap, you can use it to paint all kinds of fences. Moreover, it is very easy to use and maintain compared to other paint sprayers in the same category.
- This fence stain sprayer is very easy to use and maintain
- Quite affordable compared to others
- High-performance turbine saves you time
- Cleaning and replacing the nozzle is made easier by a lock-n-go technology
- Has viscosity issues with certain paints; you may need to add more water
- Cleaning the nozzle takes a lot of time as it is required frequently
What Makes it Special?
The Wagner Control Spray features a high-performance turbine that makes it ideal for all kinds of fences (including wooden fences).
#6. Campbell Hausfeld HVLP (DH790000AV) Gravity Feed Sprayer
Campbell Hausfeld HVLP DH790000AV gravity feed sprayer is one of a kind. It’s one of the best paint sprayers for fences that you can trust, based on previous performance.
Although gravity feed sprayers are common, this fence spray gun features high-quality features like non-corrosive stainless steel nozzle and needle, clear-view 600ml paint cup that lets you see paint levels and polished finish for easy cleaning.
It also has spray control integrated into the gun and an 80-mesh to filter dirt for improved results.
What’s more, it has a simple traditional design that makes it easy for users to familiarize with how the system works and fortunately, it is affordable.
It is the perfect sprayer for automotive and furniture painting and is especially valuable for DIY projects like fence painting.
After buying the Campbell Hausfeld HVLP DH790000AV gravity feed sprayer, make sure to check the nuts before using. Some users complained that some nuts require fastening and packing before it can be used.
So taking the extra step of checking the state of this sprayer before using it will make a difference for your painting satisfaction.
- Offers high volume cup to keep you spray painting for longer
- The nozzle needle and whole unit is easy to clean and replace
- Very easy to use (one of the most popular designs on the market)
- Low pressure means slow performance; time-consuming
- Only uses conventional compressor units (not compression turbines)
What Makes it Special?
It provides high-quality consistency and uniformity. And most importantly, you can use it for most DIY painting projects like painting your fence.
#7. Wagner 0515034 ProCoat Stand Airless Paint Sprayer
The Wagner ProCoat 2800 is a one-half horsepower motor piston pump power paint sprayer whose 2800 psi makes it the perfect machine for large jobs using heavy coatings, such as latex, stains and sealers, oil-based paints.
This professional grade sprayer pulls coatings directly from either one gallon or five-gallon containers for extra convenience.
A 35-foot high-pressure airless hose is included with this power spray system and it is capable of using a 100-foot hose, which is available as an accessory for this system.
Painters will appreciate the handle on the body of the pump housing (that allows for easy portability) and the swivel handle on the professional grade spray gun.
This power paint sprayer system includes a reversible airless 515-spray tip; the system supports close to a 0.015 airless spray tip and swivel.
This is one of the reasons why many consider it a paint sprayer for fence stain you can trust.
An inlet valve pusher allows the sprayer to be primed rapidly. This easily operated and cleaned contractor grade power sprayer is suitable not only for professional use but also for the do-it-yourself weekend warrior.
Wagner 0515034 ProCoat Stand Airless Paint Sprayer Features
- This fence stain sprayer sprays a gallon of paint in 5 minutes
- Draws paint directly from the paint can (one gallon or five gallons)
- Sprays oil-based paints, thick latex, stains, and sealers.
- Comes with 35′ high-pressure airless spray hose
- Rugged Sprayer with commercial grade metal spray gun
- Supports up to a .015 airless spray tip and includes a gun swivel
- Inlet Valve pusher for a quick prime
- Adjustable pressure control for low overspray and variety of materials
- Reversible spray tip allows quick clear out of any paint clogs
Wagner 0515034 ProCoat Stand Airless Paint Sprayer Reviews
Many users have found this fence stain sprayer helped them to successfully complete many projects such as home exteriors, barns, decks, and garage doors. Other uses include refinishing lawn furniture, awnings, fences and playground equipment.
Even those who had issues with clogs report that the reversible inlet valve easily resolves the issue. Most importantly, customers have not reported any complaints about customer service.
The Wagner ProCoat 2800 is the perfect tool for both paint contractors and the weekend warrior homeowners who enjoy home improvement projects.
Customers who have purchased this Wagner product say that it applies paint evenly with a consistent pressure. For them, it is easy to set up and easy to clean.
If you are looking for the best airless paint sprayer for fences, this is it.
Also Read: Best Paint Brush for Trim
Final Words on the Best Paint Sprayer for Fences
There are many pain sprayers on the market. Most of them can be used for auto, furniture, walls, grills, metals, and wood.
When looking for the best paint sprayer for fences, outline your needs and expectations. Don’t compare any offers without doing this. It will save you a lot of headaches later on.
You should also restrict your orders to credible licensed stores like Amazon that can provide original genuine quality products from reputable manufacturers.
Choose retailers that offer quality guarantees. Most importantly those that have provisions for replacing any models that are defective on delivery.
By clicking any of the fence stain sprayers above, you will be taken to the product page. There, you can read the full review of each fence sprayer. Plus all the other reviews of previous users of the sprayer. With this, you should be able to select the best paint sprayer for fences.
Want more paint sprayers reviews? Check out our other reviews on:
- Paint Sprayer for Interior Walls
- Homeowner Paint Sprayers
- Airless Paint Sprayers
- Stain Sprayer for Deck Stain
- Sprayer for DIY Projects
- Cabinet Paint Sprayers
- Sprayer for Furniture
- Latex Paint Sprayer
- Trim Paint Sprayer
- Sprayer for Home Use
- Paint Sprayer for Ceiling
- Sprayers Under $500
- Sprayers for Exterior House
- Sprayers for the Money
- Air Compressor for Paint Sprayers
- Sprayers for Small Projects
Best Paint Sprayer for Fences
Handling & Maintenance9.9 /10
Ease of Use10.0 /10
- It is beginner friendly
- Easy to clean and setup
- The air volume and spray pattern is adjustable
- It's the ideal paint sprayer for spraying kitchen cabinets
- It features a brass needle and nozzle for long lasting performance
- May be a bit expensive