Because of the wide range of sprayers on the market, it can be moderately difficult to get yourself the best paint sprayer for furniture. However, if you know where to look and which brand to research, you can uncover some gems.
One of the items that need regular maintenance in every household is furniture. Although they can last several years before needing replacement, you may have to work on their appearance before you finally dispose them. Such thing include remodeling them, reapplying painting on them, or repairing them.
In most cases, you may just want to repaint them to get a new look on them or to match a new décor you just ordered. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars to get this done with your handyman, you can enlist the help of a paint sprayer.
Being moderately priced, paint sprayers are getting more and more attention from homeowners. This is mostly because they are simple to use, store, and maintained. In fact, some people find them useful because they can be used repeatedly.
In this article, you will learn how to paint your furniture, the do’s and don’ts of painting your furniture, and how to get the best result.
Table of Contents
- Full Review of the Best Paint Sprayer for Furniture
- Wagner 0518050 Paint Sprayer
- Check Price & Best Deal
- Graco 16N658 TrueCoat Paint Sprayer
- Check Price & Best Deal
- Critter Spray Products 22032
- Check Price & Best Deal
- Wagner 0518080 Control Spray
- Check Price & Best Deal
- Getting Reading for Painting
- Should You Sand or Should You Not?
- Why Use Paint Sprayer for Furniture?
- What Are the Options Available to You?
- Should You Buy or Rent a Paint Sprayer?
- What Type of Paint Is Best?
- How Much Should You Spend?
- Final Words on the Best Paint Sprayer for Furniture
Full Review of the Best Paint Sprayer for Furniture
Wagner 0518050 Paint Sprayer
The Wagner 0518050 Paint Sprayer uses a High Volume Low Pressure technology, which is designed to release paint with low pressure so that a greater amount of paint reach the surface of your furniture. This means you can enjoy less overspray, which helps to reduce coating waste and paint cost.
This sprayer can be used to paint your furniture indoor or outdoor and allow you to spray variety of paints such as lacquers, sealers, stains, or varnishes. In addition, you can increase your coverage area if you painting a large furniture by changing the material flow from half an inch to ten inches.
And you can easily set the sprayer to fit the shape and size of the painting surface by choosing horizontal, vertical, or round. This is useful for painting furniture that requires a lot of twisting or covering hard to reach spots.
With a setup of less than 5 minutes and cleaning time of less than 10 minutes, this is suitable for you if you are looking for a low cost sprayer with reliable performance.
Graco 16N658 TrueCoat Paint Sprayer
The Graco 16N658 is an airless sprayer that uses technology different from the other units that uses air compressor. And this is specifically designed to help you finish your projects quickly. You can easily cover 8 feet x 8 feet room in one minute using latex or 6 feet x 8 feet fence in thirty seconds.
Of course, this directly correlated to your skill level. If you are painting for the first time, you may not be able to achieve this feat or even scuff at that. But if you are veteran DIY enthusiast, you know that this is possible.
In addition, with the Graco Graco 16N658 TrueCoat, you can cover enamels, stains, acrylic, which are all thicker materials. Compared to the Wagner 0518050 Paint Sprayer, you can see you have more leverage in terms of the materials you can work with.
When spraying them, you can choose from three patterns depending on the surface/project you are working on:
This means you can cover much ground on any painting project you are working on. The Graco 16N658 TrueCoat also have a built-in hook for hanging it on any equipment such as a ladder. This is super useful when you want to work on long, tedious projects.
At six pounds, it is heavier than the Wagner 0518050 Paint Sprayer but with the ability to hang it while working makes it a viable option for any serious project. Not is the Graco TrueCoat Paint Sprayer going to help you paint faster, it will also give you a professional finish.
The package comes with instruction DVD and is backed by one year warranty. The downside of this sprayer is the longer time it takes to clean it. Aside from this, it is a nice tool to have.
Critter Spray Products 22032
This is one of the most popular paint sprayers you will come across in the market. Although it is sexy like the Graco 16N658 TrueCoat or the Wagner 0518050 Paint Sprayer but it gets the job done.
While the competitors are settling for plastic in constructing their sprayers, the Critter Spray 22032 gun is made entirely out of metal with a glass Mason jar attached to it. However, it is suitable for smaller and medium furniture furnishings.
In terms of design, it is very simple and easy to use with only two things to adjust: air supply and height of the liquid nozzle. In addition, it is also very easy to clean because the Mason jar that attaches to it is a standard size of 16 ounces that can easily be replaced or washed quickly.
Weighing only 1.6 pounds, it is among the lightest in the industry. Remember the lighter a hand tool is, the easier to maneuver and that is ultimately simplicity in its rights.
One of the things that endears the Critter Products spray to consumers is that it doesn’t produce runs or drips and also produces consistent output of paint with less clogs. In addition, it detaches and attaches to the Mason jar for easy transition between jars if you are using more than one.
Moreover, the Mason jar is cheap and widely available so when you are ready to replace it, it won’t result into time wastage and energy dissipation.
On one hand, the parts come off easily and are easy to wash. In using this sprayer, you don’t need much airflow and it will work with different categories of cartridges which are cheap and widely available. And since the unit is light, you are able to maneuver it around the surface with ease.
On the other hand, it is not a good sprayer with latex so you need to really thin it before you enjoy it. Also, it doesn’t have any compressor and you are only limited to a circular spray pattern.
Wagner 0518080 Control Spray
This is another suitable model for painting your furniture. It comes in a compact and lightweight design, which makes it easy to maneuver and get into crevices and corners usually hidden for direct access. You can use it on your kitchen cabinets, interior wood trim, or even decks.
Unlike the Graco 16N658 TrueCoat that works with thick materials, you can use this sprayer for thin materials such as stains and lacquers. It features a variable flow control module that enables the coverage of large surfaces.
Getting Reading for Painting
Before you paint your furniture, there are certain things you need to pay attention to. These things will largely determine how good or bad the finished result will be so you need to ensure proper care is taking by following the following advice:
- Some of your furniture may have recessed nooks and crannies. Often, these become magnets for painting drops and if you are using a paint brush or roller, may be hard to get into them. With this said, paint sprayers become the better option as they can help you paint evenly and as a result, you can expect a professional finish.
- You should not start your project unless you are in a well-ventilated area. Some people may argue that painting can be done indoors. Yes, but when you are painting interior walls or other things that isn’t possible to move outside. If you are painting a small wardrobe or kitchen cabinet that easily be moved outdoors, there isn’t anything that should prevent you from doing so. In addition, before you settle outside, make sure there is no wind.
- This means you should wait till the appropriate time and not just jump in because you are excited. Because if there is actually a breeze (especially a strong one), it will blow debris on the furniture you are painting even before it is fully dried. If you have a backyard that can accommodate the furniture, you can use it too. Working in the open gives you less worry as you wouldn’t worry too much about overspray. However, if this option is not available to you, you can then choose to do your painting indoors. In this case, ensure you mask off everything you don’t want paint to reach.
- Before spraying your furniture, you have to prepare it beforehand. This entails removing all hardware from the furniture to ensure a smooth painting session. The hinges, screws, handles, etc., should be removed and set aside. After you do this, you will then sand the furniture to even nick edges and give the furniture a smooth surface. This will enable the paint stick to the furniture and ensure it doesn’t shed off prematurely. After sanding the furniture, use a kitchen rag or any rough cloth to clean it off to remove all debris, dirt, or mess left after sanding the furniture. Also, the furniture should not be wet, if it is, dry it completely before painting. Also, look around the furniture and verify there is no hole. If there is, fill them up.
- Now you are ready to paint but before that, you need some protective gears to shelter yourself from making direct contact with the paint. This includes safety gloves, dusk masks, etc. If this is your first time, you may not have these (and you probably don’t have intention of buying them). You can do without them but you need to keep a significant distance between you and the furniture and spray carefully too.
- You can choose from any of the paint sprayers we have reviewed below. They are a selection from a wide range of options because they are suitable for painting furniture or they make it easy to do so. After that, you need to come up with your own technique of painting – there are many and that will come in a future post.
- Some people are comfortable with applying several thin coats instead of just one single thick coat and have been seeing great results from that. Others prefer to go in the opposite direction. Choose whichever rocks your boat. Note: you can find reviews, videos, and guides from the manufacturer of each model of sprayer. By going through these, you should be able to come up with your own technique.
- As I mentioned above, give yourself and the furniture some inches say 10 to 12 inches. With you sprayer on hand, press the trigger and apply the paint on the furniture.
- After you are done with painting, you should allow a day to pass before reassembling your furniture. This includes putting items back inside the furniture and reinstalling all the hardware that were removed during your preparation. Try to wait for 24 hours (or more) to allow the paint to be fully dry. This will give you a professional look and ensure the finish is durable.
Should You Sand or Should You Not?
Although we have covered this – partly in the preceding paragraph, I feel there is a need to have a proper discussion about it here. The debate has been has two side. One side argue that you want a smooth surface to put your paint and that you can’t get one unless you sand the surface.
Another group opined that you don’t need to stress yourself through sanding since there is another better solution – even though that will set you back some dollars. The good news is that the field is open and you have to trade-off either your time/energy or your money.
Generally, you don’t have to sand your wooden furniture before you can use a paint sprayer on it. Most people now paint their furniture without sanding at all. However, this requires using a liquid deglosser.
Because they are so cheap and widely available, it may be easier to use them especially if you don’t want to go through the stress of sanding or are short of time. With this method, all you have to do is apply the liquid deglosser to your furniture using a brush and then wipe it off in like 20 minutes before painting.
Why Use Paint Sprayer for Furniture?
There are many reasons you would want to use a paint sprayer for your furniture. With a paint sprayer, you can turn your old, furniture into neat pieces with impressive beauty.
Unlike painting with a brush, where you may be presented with unattractive brush strokes, a paint sprayer can give you a smooth, almost glass finish.
Moreover, you can also save on painting costs since the coverage will be more even and lighter. An you can expect to spend lesser time on painting versus when you use a brush or roller for your projects.
You also have to remember that using paint sprayer in spraying your furniture means you can now worry less about brush strokes. Imagine spending the whole day on a painting job and in checking later, you get a this strokes that happens because the paint actually dries before it levels.
This will give your job an unprofessional look. And if you actually used a stick brush, the finished result may look even worse than that. For me, I will rather bypass all these hassles by using a paint sprayer.
If you are involved in painting for any number of period, you know the feeling that can swell up when you see unevenness in your painting sheen, which is called flashing. This happens when light is reflected off your paint.
For children, it might look attractive and stunning but for your visitors and guests, it could be an eye sore and can be plain unaesthetic.
What Are the Options Available to You?
When it comes to paint sprayers, there are not a lot of options. But the different types that are available work differently so that it is easy to choose one that suits your preferences. Most sprayers are often categorized according to whether they use air compression or not.
The airless sprayers often use high pressure while the ones that use air utilize air compression to atomize paint. It is important to carry out your own research before settling on one model. Whichever you choose, it is your dexterity in controlling the sprayer gun during your project that will determine you final results.
If you are an absolute beginner, you can go for a cup paint sprayer. They don’t use any air compression, comes in a simple setup, and can be primed easily before painting. Example include the Graco Truecoat Paint Sprayer.
If you enjoy working with a more powerful paint sprayer, you can choose one with an air compressor. However, this is not recommended for a beginner as many things can go wrong and if you don’t have experience, you may end up wasting money.
Costs range from $20 upwards and often takes a lot more time to complete a project (but with more reliable result and professional finish). An example is the Kobalt Gravity Feed HVLP Gun sprayer.
The other one is the industrial, more professional paint sprayer. They are more expensive and are not for everyone. An example is Graco Magnum LTS 17 Sprayer. They are heavy-duty although they don’t require an air compressor. If you are typically painting furniture, you don’t need this unless you are looking to do professional work.
Should You Buy or Rent a Paint Sprayer?
This is a tricky question but one that is not difficult to answer. If you have not purchased a paint sprayer and are wondering whether you should just buy one or rent a paint sprayer, then you can make it easy on yourself by being practical.
If you want to retouch many furniture and even eyeing the application of your paint sprayer in the future, you might want to purchase one that you can use over and over.
However, if painting is not really your thing and you just want to use it for a short time or for a set of furniture that you can complete in a few days, then renting one can be a good option.
Since paint sprayer can lay down variations of paints from latex to stains to lacquers, the most important thing is to get the right paint sprayer and employ right spraying technique to get the best result.
What Type of Paint Is Best?
There are many different types of paints that you can use to retouch your furniture. If you are painting furniture that you use frequently, you need a paint that will not chip off when you clean. In this case, a gloss finish is your best bet.
You can use a flat finish if you want to paint variety of furniture ranging from cabinets to desk to shelves to cabinets to wardrobes to drawers, and a whole lot of others.
How Much Should You Spend?
My budget is different from yours and we have different tastes. But what if I tell you I can tell you which model is suitable for you? When you walk into a sales store and you tell a salesman what you want, he can certainly recommend some models for you – which can be perfect – based on your needs or budget.
The same applies when you are looking for the best paint sprayer for furniture. Fortunately, there are so many options that choosing one within your budget is easy. Some models are costs anything below $50 but are suitable for smaller projects.
If you are like me, you probably want to buy for larger, long term projects, which mean you will be looking for higher quality and capability. You will be looking at spending a few hundred dollars to get the models that fit this category.
Know the best part? When you spend this much, you will enjoy your investment because this type can be used over a long period of time and over multiple surfaces except you pay for a dud, which you can confident return!
Final Words on the Best Paint Sprayer for Furniture
Choosing the best sprayer for furniture can consume your time through researching, consultation, and comparison especially when you are looking at dropping a lot of cash. The fact that people are buying these and are accomplishing their goal – a professional finish – should give you some respite.
Once you understand this guide and put into use those things I recommended above, you won’t have any problem.When you get the suitable product for the job, you will be able to paint your furniture in such an attractive way that your friends will soon request your service at their homes.
One thing I even like is that the final sprayer you choose will allow you to paint a wide range of furniture like tables, furnishings, cupboards, decks, drawers, and cabinets. With a guide on the best paint sprayer for furniture, you should be able to select the right sprayer for your furniture and furnishings.